Sex!!

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
:p Yes please.....

Ok as I said in the other thread I dropped of a sample of poo today at the vets before the dentists. Well they could find Cricket's folder.... turns out the vet had it because the DNA was in.....
And as it turns out Cricket is a Crocket :( Honestly, I was hoping for a little girl but I still love him with all my heart and wouldn't give him up for anyone... I will just have to get him a little girl friend :D

:jumping40

itsaboystork.gif

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
A boy? :eek:

Woooooohooooo!!!!!! :D

And you were talking to him as if he was a girl?Hmmmmm.... That's why he got angry the other day! :18:

Never mind, of course we love our fids the same regardless of their sex!
What about that site of visually sexing greys Peta had found, did he match the ''female'' characteristics? :D

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Yippee, its a boy. Man that sounds strange:eek:. Congrats on your boy! I dont want to do a dna on Squeaky, he's my boy (hopefully):p.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:eek: A BOY, that is a surprise, I was so sure he was a she. :D Pretty hard to tell from the pics but she, he looks so much lighter than my two.

Its gonna take some getting used to now, and I really must have words with Bucc, no more wolf whistling to Cricket from now on. :D

Yeah, get him a little girlfriend. :D

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Congrats on your little boy!!! I'm going to get mine DNA tested sometime, I call both of them girls but they probably both are boys. :p

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
IT'S A BOY!!!! YEAH!!! Boys are awesome!! :D See, I think it's great knowing ... I wish I had a reason to sex "the boys" ... really I think Hamlet is a little girl, and Mac has to be a boy ... one of these days I will find out ...

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Congrats on having a little boy!

I wish I had a reason to sex "the boys"

Why do you need a specific reason other than wanting to know? I refused to name Iggy until I got the DNA results back, lol

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I wont sex mine till I need to draw blood for another reason. Its just too stressful for me and the bird just for the sake of knowing.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
All the vet did was clip one nail too short and fill a capillary tube...Iggy didn't even react. But I guess all birds/owners are different.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I wont sex mine till I need to draw blood for another reason. Its just too stressful for me and the bird just for the sake of knowing.

I agree ... if there is need to draw blood for another reason then I will do it, when I take Ham or Mac to the vet for a clip my vet uses a dremmel to file down the nail and cauterize any bleeding that might occur ... I really like the way it works out ..

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I know, my vet always uses the dremel for nails/beak too...my point was that it doesn't need to be a stressful blood draw, the bird doesn't even know blood is being drawn (it could be done during a normal clip visit). Also, they can do DNA sexing from feathers, which birds lose all the time. I don't know, it was just important to me to know what sex he was...but if it doesn't matter to you, then that's ok too. :)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
naturally moulted feathers can not give an accurate sexing response ... they have to be plucked, at least that is my understanding of the process ...

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
naturally moulted feathers can not give an accurate sexing response ... they have to be plucked, at least that is my understanding of the process ...

No, it can be a molted a feather. :D
There's a retired vet in Florida who will do DNA & feather sexing for a 1$(USD)
You do not have to be in the states to send him this, Just make sure the 1$ is in USD currency. lol

Feather sexing: Feather sexing is done by plucking a few of your birds feathers from your bird.

DNA sexing: DNA sexing is done by clipping slightly beyond the vein in a birds nail, then blotting it on a dna kit.

You have to phone him and get his address. If you want his phone number let me know and i'd be more than happy to PM it to you.

Last edited:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
So I'm thinking about having Daisy sexed, but I'll wait and see after another molt or so if she keeps losing her pearling and stuff I may not.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah I always thought it had to be a freshly plucked feather :confused: Have to ask my vet when I next go see him, which should be soon, spend half my live in a vets office of one kind or another just lately. :D

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
All my point was in the first place was that it does not have to be this big, blood draw ordeal at the vet that everyone is making it sound like. It can be as quick as a clipped nail or plucked feather...it's not like the bird is going to end up bleeding profusely or naked as a plucked chicken, and they certainly won't be upset about it 5 minutes later.

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Yeah Cricket didnt seem to notice a thing when she was geting ... his... blood out. The air sack kept getting in the way and thats why my 2nd visit I desided to do the DNA, just because he (I kept saying she) has a hard vein... but even after the ordeal she was whistling away and giving the vet a raspberry ...although she *cough* I mean he would step up for her again after that.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah my problem is ME and not what they will do to them. I know they won't bat an eyelid no matter what our vet does to them, I'm just such a big wuss. :D

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Congratulations on Crick...er, I mean Crocket! LOL

It's a BOY!!!

:jumping40:propeller:bunny7:

Most Reactions