Shades updates

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016
It's been awhile since I've been on here. Home, work, and school are filling my time. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to return to school full time. I must need my head examined. Anyway, Shades is doing well. He doesn't like my husband anymore. He lashes out at him, and tries to bite, aggressively. We try to show him he isn't a threat by hugging in front of him, and telling him my husband is a good guy and everything is okay. I'm not convinced that will work, so if anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way. I've told my husband to just sit next to him and talk to him while offering him a banana chip or a few seeds to help him learn to trust him. We shall see what happens. Of the children, he's better with my 13 year old, although he gives him a tough way to go at times. My 18 year old, is well, a typical teenager who only has the time and desire for his own wants and needs. My 11 year old really likes Shades, but he's also very leery of him. Shades puts his head down for head scratches, but sideways so he can still see when the best time to attack arrives. Luckily, my baby boy is quick enough to get his finger out of the way.

He still bites when he is on my "steady" hand, and most times he is really applying painful pressure. It does seem as though he is getting better, but whenever he bites hard after being told "no biting," he gets a timeout in his cage with his perch door closed. It's only been 3 months, so I'm not really making a big deal out of it. I see some progress, or what I'm hoping to be progress, but then he goes back to biting again. He's very lovable when he wants to be, which seems to be when he's getting tired. He actually let me hold him on the couch for a good 30 minutes one afternoon. Of course, I was super delighted, but it hasn't happened again. I'll keep working on him. I ask him if he wants to sit on the couch with me, which he seems to want to do, but I'm starting to wonder if he just wants sit on the couch. One afternoon he was really quiet, and when my husband looked in his cage to see what he was doing, he wasn't in or on the cage. HE WAS ON THE COUCH!! LOL!!! Just sitting there as is he were saying to himself, "well, I'm finally on the couch. Now what do I do?" It was a funny story, and I wish I could have seen it at that moment. Thankfully it didn't take that long for him to fly down from the top of his cage to the couch again. I was finally able to see that sight with my own eyes, and yes, he just sat there wondering what should he do now that he'd made it to the couch again. As intelligent as these parrots are, I'm wondering if he is trying to spite Kitty, our cat. She isn't allowed on the couch, and we're constantly telling her to get down. Now that she's seen him on it several times, she thinks it's okay for her to make her way to the couch. NOPE!!! Maybe he's saying, "ha ha Kitty, guess who's on the couch?" I wouldn't be surprised if some of his first words are, "get down Kitty!"

He's eating well. He tries whatever I give him, which is great. He clearly loves green beans because I cannot say those two words together without him getting excited. I introduced walnuts to him a few weeks ago. At first he was a bit nervous, but once he realized there was a treat inside that shell, his bravery quickly returned.

Yikes, I didn't intend for this to be so long, but I just wanted to let you all know Shades and us are doing well. Taking one day at a time. He is an absolute delight, and a dream come true. I really love him and look forward to many years together. We've learned that he mimics our neighbor's dog, and he's trying to mimic multiple whistles/songs. I'll post a few entertaining videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ME86cAR4k&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iAU6Q_lLL8&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

If I didn't know any better, I would think I was listening to a dog barking.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzEmsWVy3A&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

Another dog mimic.

Last edited:

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Those last two videos are private, you have to make them public for us to view.

Also, in regards to getting on the couch, if the bird thinks it's a game or challenge they will treat it as such, at least from my experience with my CAG.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Those last two videos are private, you have to make them public for us to view.

Also, in regards to getting on the couch, if the bird thinks it's a game or challenge they will treat it as such, at least from my experience with my CAG.

Thanks for the heads up. The videos should be viewable now. I thought I made them all public.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
That sound like a dog to me, very well done Shades. I have a dog next door to me, and Perjo her her bark all the time, but doesn't seem very interested in mimicking the bark. Perjo is more interested in doing R2D2 sounds, I'm trying to get her on video in action, it's funny and somewhat impressive.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Shades also makes a few "beeping" sounds. Sometimes I wonder how keen their sense of hearing is, and within what frequency range can they here. I say this because my children play video games, but upstairs in the game room. Our house is pretty open, but the television is never so loud that I can here any sounds downstairs in the living room where his cage is. He's recently started making this sound, but it sound unfamiliar to me. Guess he could have heard in on the television in the living room.

I think he picked up the dog's bark because I always ask him if he hears the doggie when he barks. He's certainly got it down because ever since Friday, he barks without me asking. Yesterday I noticed he is rolling his tongue, something I was doing about a week ago while standing in front of his cage.Of course, I immediately grabbed my phone so I could record him. Thing is, I must keep it hidden, otherwise the show is over.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy1QVqXrzIM"]Shades da Grey - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for the nice update and videos! Shades is settling in nicely, but it takes Greys a long time if ever to become cuddly.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Thanks for the nice update and videos! Shades is settling in nicely, but it takes Greys a long time if ever to become cuddly.

Even if he never is a cuddly bird, he'll always be a dream come true in my book. <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts