She doesn't eat unless I'm with her now...

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
It started a couple of weeks ago, and now it's significantly worse. I was gone for about 8 hours a few days ago (longest I've ever been apart from her), came back, and she hadn't even touched her breakfast at all. I had even left carrots in her treat bowl and she hadn't touched them. The minute I walked in, there was tons of squawking and growling, and once she realized I wasn't leaving, she stuffed her face immediately (while growling and whispering the whole time). So the last few days I've been giving her food then walking into the office and working on things for a few hours to see what would happen. When I come back, food untouched.

Is there any way to help her get over this? I'm concerned if I'm gone for any length of time, she's just going to starve. I've tried leaving every tasty thing in the book in her treat cup, even blueberries and nuts (some favorites), but she completely ignores it and sits on her perch in the corner until I come back in the room. Upon which she scarfs her food angrily. If I am in the room all day, she eats normally like nothing is amiss.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Gee... most parrots are such chow-hounds! I don't think I've ever run across this before!

I'll hope for some more input from the macaw folks... maybe it's a macaw-thing.

My best thought is to get your darling used to being without you by being away for short times, gradually stretching the minutes so that she gets used to the idea that you come and go, but you always come back, so there's no reason to freak out and not eat.

Could there be any other dynamics? Other pets? People? Scary things out of a window? Maybe a television or radio to break the silence, if you don't already have that? I'm just brainstorming...!

Ideas, anybody?

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
really odd. But hunger is perhaps the strongest instinct, right after flight-or-fight. I would call an avian vet or behavioral expert and solicit their advice.

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
really odd. But hunger is perhaps the strongest instinct, right after flight-or-fight. I would call an avian vet or behavioral expert and solicit their advice.
If the bird was sick and needed too go too the vet it wouldn’t eat at all this is a behavioral problem she’s not eating unless the owner is their she didn’t quit eating.

OP
Sunnybirb

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots

She actually was just at the vet a few weeks ago and I even had a fecal done. She’s apparently in good health. And she does eat a normal amount, just only when I am with her. A behavioral expert is a good idea though. I don’t know if there is anyone here, but maybe I can find someone to call and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sunnybirb

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Gee... most parrots are such chow-hounds! I don't think I've ever run across this before!

I'll hope for some more input from the macaw folks... maybe it's a macaw-thing.

My best thought is to get your darling used to being without you by being away for short times, gradually stretching the minutes so that she gets used to the idea that you come and go, but you always come back, so there's no reason to freak out and not eat.

Could there be any other dynamics? Other pets? People? Scary things out of a window? Maybe a television or radio to break the silence, if you don't already have that? I'm just brainstorming...!

Ideas, anybody?

She was a chow hound before! She still is, just not when she’s alone... and she does great when I leave (minus the food). She doesn’t scream or seem overly distressed. She usually says goodbye a few times and then goes quiet. I’m gone at least an hour or two every day, usually in a different room or running errands. She’s out of her cage about 8-10 hours a day, plays a lot with me. So she seems totally fine. I’m still keeping a very close eye on her and monitoring her poops. But given how stressed out she was from the last vet visit, I’m really hesitant to take her again unless I know she’s actually sick and not just being a weirdo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyzipper

Jan 14, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Marvin (the Martian) - Yellow sided GCC
Jericho - Severe Macaw
Perhaps weigh her daily to monitor weight loss (if you don't already make a habit of this).

Most Reactions