She laid an Eggie.....

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
I knew something was up.She has never shredded her newspapers like that and couldnt stop mating with everything...Then she had this bulge, I was watching her like a hawk but she was eating fine and everything.And this morning was a cute eggie, rather large for such a small bird, I feel sorry for her having to pass that thing..

Im pretty sure I need to leave it in, right?.She isnt the least bit interested in it though...Wow, now we know for sure she is a female.My little greenie is all grown up now..:)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I had a feeling that was coming when you told me about all her behaviors lately.

Yes, you know for sure now you have a little girl:)

I would leave it for awhile even though she isn't showing much interest in it, just in case.

Although I wonder why Rowdy and Bri never laid any eggs? Rowdy will be 12 in less than a month, and Bri was over 10 when she passed. And I was told Merlin has only laid one in 21 years. I wonder why some birds do it and others don't.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
I wonder that too.I think she has another egg in there too.She is getting swollen down there again.I let her out and darn it if she didnt latch onto my hand start going at it..I cant get her off, she grabs hard with those claws and then bites me(not like a regular bite but latching on)..So another few days in her cage.I miss having her hang around on me but she is out of control right now.

Now im really worried about her getting enough calcium too.Im going to sprinkle some on her food.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Does she have a cuttle bone or mineral block?

Does she like broccoli? It's one of the few veggies with a reasonable calcium supply. Leafy greens also.

Rowdy will go to town eating cuttle bones when she starts getting hormonal, but yet, she has never laid.

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
How old did you say she is?

I have a 11 month old and she was tested as a girl. I was just curious my self when to expect her to potentially lay an egg.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Just my two cents here , but I would offer her a cuttle bone instead of sprinkling any suppliments on her food. I would just be afraid of over dosing her with anything
she isnt lacking. A mineral block and a cuttle bone , that should be fine.
Well , at least you know for sure her sex , lol. Poor thing having to push out a large egg !

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
She turned 3yo this last Dec. and this is a first time for her..She wont touch a cuttle bone.I can try, my son has one for his future teil I will just replace it later.She hates broccoli too..Darn it..She did just have a bunch of kale all last week.Im out now and have to buy that out of town.I did notice the dandelions sprouting outside, I can harvest some sprouts for her.I keep our yard pesticide free because I have the chickens so weeds are our friends here.I havent checked the mulberry trees for buds.Did you know that Mulberry leaves are loaded with calcium.The fresh spring leaves are best and can even be eaten by us..Not that I would, but "The more you know"

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, I did not know Mulberry leaves were high in calcium. I do give mine branches to chew on and for perches.

Rowdy hasn't touched her cuttle bone for awhile but I bet by next month she eats half of it.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi Doris, well a little hen hey. Ok seriously if she doesn't eat calcium you can scrape a daily dose of cuttle bone on her favorite foods. My birds are a push over for Passionfruit so if i need to give extra vitamins it all goes into half a passionfruit. If she doesn't get the extra calcium she needs she will deplete her body of calcium & become very weak.

You can expect her to lay 4 to 6 eggs. She will probably start to sit tight after she has laid the 2nd or 3rd egg. Let her incubate the eggs for approx 3 weeks or until she looses interrest.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Okay, will do..I do know a bit about the calcium thing having the laying hens but they have special high calcium food too. I just hope everything turns out well, the risks are a bit scary.I had a hen die on me last summer(my favorite of course).We think she was egg bound and then when she passed the egg it tore something inside her..Poor baby.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Last time I was at the vet for Merlin, someone came rushing in with an egg bound chicken. Luckily they got it out and she was fine. As a woman I can't help but cringe about that idea.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
She laid a second egg today..I dont know if I should clean her cage.I was going to this last Sunday when I found the first egg and decided to wait.She still just kinda plays with them but doesnt seem interested.
I was really hoping to take her out this week in her flight suit, it was 80 degrees today and soo perfect.But I dont want to stress her with all thats going on.Plus I would be afraid Id hurt her with those eggs developing inside her..
She is sleeping a bit more then usual.But then I havent been letting her out of the cage as much either.

I wish those cute little eggs were fertile.They must be so cute and tiny when they hatch.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think your instincts not to put on the harness and such are probably good ones right now.

I'm not sure on the cage cleaning. I think I'd at least change the paper in the tray.

Most Reactions