She's home!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
It could be the location- look at the items surrounding the area, or the area itself and see if there's anything "suspicious". Are there any windows nearby? (chili will NOT go near a window at night unless the blinds or curtains are closed)

Is there a way to move the bowl to a different spot in her cage?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome Home, Sakura!!! She is just gorgeous! Congratulations!
Lovely cage set-up, the sneaker toy is too cute.

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
Congrads she is beautiful

sprince

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Umbrella cockie "Pippa"
So pretty and I love her cage! Is it stainless steal? And what those colored things that go around her perch? Yay you!!!!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
WOW! What a beauty!!!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Yay! So glad she's moved in happily. As for the staying in one spot thing, I was just thinking today that my girl just sits in one spot and wondering why I bothered worrying about the size of her cages. Seriously, I don't think she'd mind being in a tiny little box for all the exploring she does. (She does move about in her main house, but she moves somewhere and then sits there, she isn't roaming around all the time)

OP
aether-drifter

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
It could be the location- look at the items surrounding the area, or the area itself and see if there's anything "suspicious". Are there any windows nearby? (chili will NOT go near a window at night unless the blinds or curtains are closed)

Is there a way to move the bowl to a different spot in her cage?

No, the cage is not by a window, but I guess it could be a lighting issue. I have a lamp on one side, but not the other. However, her food has always been on the side that she likes -- the light side -- so I don't know if it's that.

I actually just redid her cage, though, and I think it helped! I added a rope perch going from her favorite spot down to the water dish. And I got her a smaller, plastic food dish that I put near where she likes to hang out. She ate out of it instantly. Eventually it will be replaced with a forager. She'll have to work for her seeds, while the pellets and fresh food will be more easily accessible. ;)

Co2nDLv.jpg

wkKAzGU.jpg

I caught her on the door perch earlier! So I think it might just be that she isn't confident or agile enough to navigate between perches that are far apart in height.

So pretty and I love her cage! Is it stainless steal? And what those colored things that go around her perch? Yay you!!!!

Thanks! No, it's a powder-coated King's cage in "sandstone."
The perch came with those little rings of colored stuff on them...I guess it's supposed to be a built-in toy/something to chew on? I ended up taking it out, though. Nothing beats natural wood!

Yay! So glad she's moved in happily. As for the staying in one spot thing, I was just thinking today that my girl just sits in one spot and wondering why I bothered worrying about the size of her cages. Seriously, I don't think she'd mind being in a tiny little box for all the exploring she does. (She does move about in her main house, but she moves somewhere and then sits there, she isn't roaming around all the time)

Haha, they can be maddening creatures, can't they! Flower likes to explore when she's out of the cage...she does have a mischievous, curious streak...I just have to harness it and make the cage layout inviting, I think.

Last edited:

sprince

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Umbrella cockie "Pippa"
Hows it going today? Ive had my umbrella 5 days now. Shes 6 years old I am her 3rd owner. Shes getting more comfotable, but now shes getting sassy sonetimes and a bit nippy. Her last owner lived alone, and I have two teenagers at home, so its grand central station here. I hope she goes back to being more agreeable.

OP
aether-drifter

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Things are going well with her, thanks! I had a friend over today and Sakura loved her. She really seems to take to people quickly, as long as they're gentle and don't make sudden movements at first. She's pretty much a perfect angel; does not scream at all (unless I vacuum by her cage! Haha), is very independent, sweet, affectionate, and gentle with her beak.

She is NOT impressed with her new diet of Harrison's pellets...or Nutriberries...or any of the fresh foods I've offered so far. I guess that's one thing we'll have to work on.

Her stand is from Manzanita Habitats -- they have a website, a Facebook page and an ebay store. Pretty easy to find. She really likes it! I think it would be great for a U2. :)

Ruleof3

Jan 20, 2014
Parrots
Perry- Goffin's too ---- Nemo & Moby- tiels
She's super cute! and I LOVE her cage set up...especially that sneaker toy (perry's favorite toys)!

Perry wouldn't eat when I brought her home either (she only had a 45 minute car ride but apparently that really stressed her out). I ended up adding a smaller food bowl higher up in her cage and she seemed to feel safer and ate really well! I brought her in for a weight recheck a few days later and she had lost weight but they told me to wait it out 6 days. If you don't have a scale, you can always get a cheap one on amazon for a few bucks to watch her weight (and evaluate her overall body condition by feeling around her keel- if it starts to become more prominent I'd see a veterinarian). But Perry picked up around day 5 and didn't lose any more weight. Now she's a beast. You can try adding different bowls and in new locations and see what she seems to prefer. Stinks about the nutriberries because that's what I kept offering Perry since she wasn't a fan of any of her pellets at the start, I'm not sure what else you could try....

Most Reactions

Latest posts