Shipping & Handling (Off Topic)

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
As my wife and I have gone through the learning curve after adding a B&G Macaw to our family we have stumbled on a major disappointment!

Toys being sold that are touted as "Bird Safe" that are not bird safe.

ANYHOW, that's a story for a whole different thread!!

We have decided, as a side line, to begin marketing true bird safe toys using all stainless hardware and bird safe materials.

ANYHOW #2:

Shipping & handling is a major cost incurred. Boxes, packing material, tape, labels, actual shipping costs etc all add to the cost.

As a consumer, would you prefer to buy a toy with the shipping added in (Free Shipping) or see the cost separately?

Example - - Toy "A" = toy sale cost $9.50 + shipping & handling 6.00 = $15.50

Example - - Toy "A" = toy sale cost $15.50, free shipping & handling.

Cost is the same but the perception is different.

Thanks for the input!!

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
It wouldn't matter to me if it is the same price in the end. I usually shop at places were there is free shipping after a certain dollar amount and buy toys and things in bulk with a big order.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Well if you are willing to do combined shipping, I would rather have a price per toy plus shipping, however if combined shipping is not a service you would offer I would rather have "free" shipping and handling.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
"Free shipping" is a little misleading, isn't it? It's either included in the price quoted, or priced separately; it's not free.

There's a lot of consumer psychology (brainwashing) that goes into it. People will easily remember the $99.95 price of a cage they bought at Polly's Parrot Shop, but ignore the actual price paid, which included sales tax.

I don't know the answer, either, which is why I'm watching this thread.
PP

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I LOVE to see FREE SHIPPING on online store ads. But it's a two edged sword. If I'm only buying one or two items, then free shipping really isn't a benefit because of the markup (I always research the price of a particular item before I buy). Now, if the stores price is relatively the same with free ship as the store that doesn't offer free shipping then I will opt for the free shipping. But if the cost is just marked up to make up for the free shipping then I will most likely pass unless it's an item I can't get any where else.

I much prefer the Free shipping over $49.00 or something like that, because I know there isn't too much of a markup on their items to make up for the free shipping off. But If I see a store offering free shipping on one to one hundred items, I know that each item is marked up at least 1/3rd the price to compensate for shipping cost. So I will usually pass them by because I will be paying a lot more for shipping because the more items I buy the more shipping cost I will be paying.

So my suggestion to you is, try it will free shipping if you spend $49.99 or over and make up the difference in volumn sales rather than each individual item sold. This is how Sam Walton made his money. He sold more than any other retailers due to cheaper prices. So although he didn't make it on the front end, he made it up on the back end.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Oh, I must add here, I wouldn't recommend going into any kind of business in this economy unless it's going to be more of a hobby because this is not the economic climate to start any kind of a business especially a business that deals with a specific theme.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I prefer also to see the free S&H for bulk purchases such as over $50. or so. That way your customers will try to get the purchase over that amt.

OP
azdesertrhino

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
"Free shipping" is a little misleading, isn't it? It's either included in the price quoted, or priced separately; it's not free.

There's a lot of consumer psychology (brainwashing) that goes into it. People will easily remember the $99.95 price of a cage they bought at Polly's Parrot Shop, but ignore the actual price paid, which included sales tax.

I don't know the answer, either, which is why I'm watching this thread.
PP

I agree, it is not actually free. There is no way to sell a $5.00 toy and offer free shipping half way across the country so there has to be an adjustment in price.

I think shipping costs are way out of line in themselves. Then, add in $1.00 or $1.50 for a box, the cost of tape, labels, ink etc etc and the cost of shipping is approaching the cost of the item.

we just want to do what is best for our fellow bird care takers!

Oh, I must add here, I wouldn't recommend going into any kind of business in this economy unless it's going to be more of a hobby because this is not the economic climate to start any kind of a business especially a business that deals with a specific theme.

We definitely are not doing this to make a living. It would be nice if it was big enough to supplement when retirement age came around.

right now the main thing is getting safe quality toys to bird caretakers at a fair price and not kill them on shipping costs.

I think the idea of a set price before free shipping kicks in is a valid point!!

Thanks for the input from all.

Most Reactions

Latest posts