Shopping for my first HEPA air purifier, please help me pick a good one

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
Hi everyone

Im happy i found these forums because i am going crazy trying to decide which air purifier i should purchase. I figurerd there would be no better place to start than by asking fellow bird lovers. Afterall, we all have the same needs when it comes filtering bird dander safely.

My husband and I are both bird lovers, but we are also allergic. We've both been tested and are pretty much allergic to everything, birds included.

i try and stay on top of the cleaning by changing dirty papers twice a day, wiping and vaccuming cages, making sure they take baths etc.. but i still have concerns.

There are several great looking purifiers out there but I am crippled by the all the options.please help.

My wish list includes:
- air purifier that on a medium setting at least is fairly quiet. Our bird cages are in the main family room, where we spend all of our time.

- one that will last minimum 5-10 yrs (ideally) in good working condition and i dont mind going with a larger model for the advantages of decreased noise, better fan/air circulaton. Plus this should help the filters last longer

- i really have no idea how large my room is, but i would be willing to go up to a 800sq foot or 1200sq foot model because we will be moving in a year to a larger home

- i dont mind spending up to a max of $150 each for good filters, as long as its only once a year or so

- no ozone, no ions, none of that shady stuff

- the more filters, the better. Quality air is important.

- air quality scensors and filter quality sensors

Right now i guess my price range is anywhere from 100 - 1000. Of course, wherever i can save the better.

I would really appreciating hearing what purifiers you all own and if you guys recommend or dont recommend specific air purifiers.

We really need to decide and its just so hard to pick. Please help. Thank you!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining!!

I don't currently have a filter, but many members have discussed their needs and offered suggestions. This is a list of threads from the forum search engine using the words "hepa air filter." Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community - Search Results

Consumer Reports periodically tests such devices and gives unbiased reviews. Your library likely subscribes!

Years ago I researched and purchased one for my parents. The best seemed to be produced by Blueair. The unit was costly, somewhere around $400 USD and you must factor the cost of periodic filter replacement.

OP
E

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
Thanks for your input. I am quite torn between a few at the moment.

Some models I am considering:

Qransi MAX or Oransi EJ

Rabbit Air minus A2

IQ air Health

BlueAir

Does anyone have any experience with any of these so that I might have a better idea?

Thanks

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
As I recall the Blueair model was fairly large, sturdy, and resided on 4 castor wheels for ease of movement. Was highly rated and worked well, but high settings are somewhat noisy. IIRC there were two sizes of filters that required periodic replacement.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We have 3 SurroundAir air purifiers and plan to get a 4th at some point for our office. We have one Multi-Tech 4000, originally bought for a painting project in a bathroom with poor ventilation as that model is VOC rated (we left it in the bathroom permanently) and 2 of the XJ3000 models (one for downstairs, one for our loft), bought due to continuing allergies as the prior owners of our condo had a cat or multiple cats and nothing I did cleaning wise seemed to be able to remove the cat allergens. The one bought for painting quickly removed the paint odor and it is shocking how much dust, hair etc... accumulates on the filter in a week being in a bathroom (I vacuum the fronts of the filters of all 3 air purifiers weekly). The other 2 do pick up a good amount of dust and I did notice quite a reduction in my allergies after we started using them. I vacuum 3X a week and keep things clean which wasn't helping the allergies, so I am sure the reduction in my allergy symptoms is directly tied to the air purifiers. If they're powerful enough to help with serious allergies to a bird currently living in a space, I not sure but they definitely do something. The XJ-3000 models do have a "sanitize" feature for removing odors that produces a small amount of ozone, but it can be complete shut off so no ozone is produced at all ever (we've never turned the feature on). The Multi-Tech 4000 does not have a ozone-producing feature and IMO is a more attractive unit design-wise. Replacement filters and UV lamps are sensibly priced and if you vacuum the filters regularly, they can last more than a year.

https://www.surroundair.com/multi-tech-8400/

https://www.surroundair.com/multi-tech-xj3000d/

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I have a Honeywell unit purchased from Home Depot, it's in our family room with our CAG and Umbrella Cockatoo. It has mixed reviews, noise is a common complaint. Personally, I'm highly impressed with the price and the quality of the unit. Noise is not really a factor for me, I live with one of the loudest creatures on earth. I live in dusty central Texas and I have allergies, the Honeywell makes a huge difference and has a specific setting for allergens, I use the turbo setting. Best of luck with your decision, whatever brand you choose I think you'll be thrilled with the results.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I have a Therapur air purifier in my living room that you cannot hear on low and you can barely hear it on med. You can hear it on high, but its no louder than an oscillating fan.

Mine has a built in filter that you can reuse over and over again.

Personally, if you get one with filters that need to be replaced- just stick with the same filter. That's what I used to do with my old one. I'd just take it apart and wash the sponges and vaccuum out the rest of it.

Unless you are trying to remove more than just dust/dander- you don't even need to replace the filter- just clean it out. Its if you want to remove any air 'particles' that require anti-microbial treatment.

I paid a little over $100 for my Therapur but I've had it for years and its a large one. I have really bad year-round allergies (ESPECIALLY to dust and pollen) as well as asthma and mine works great still.

Most Reactions

Latest posts