Should have joined this site sooner!

lunyluna

Apr 12, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Luna - Scarlet Macaw, Max - Blue Fronted Amazon, Mac - Red-lored Amazon
Hello!

My name is Barb and I have a Scarlet Macaw named Luna. I rescued her from St. Louis Avian Rescue (STAR) a little over a year ago (Feb 9th, 2019). I am 20 y/o and attending college, so I live in a tiny apartment with three other people! (yes, people, macaws CAN live in apartments peacefully!) My parents have two amazons: one, a blue-fronted; and the other, a red-lored. I will inherit them when my parents pass, as one is about 15 and the other we're not sure of, but is over 30 for sure. They were both rescued.

I have used this site extensively in the past when I had questions about taking care of birds, but I never made an account. I would just google the question and this forum usually popped up. No more! I am excited to be a part of this community :)

On to Luna, she is a DIVA! She has such a big personality. She's usually making all sorts of weird noises for fun, and loves being around me. She's also happy to just take naps with me or sit close to me while I work from home. She's thankfully pretty quiet, as I could not have a screaming bird in my apartment. She hardly ever screams, only when new people come over or if I play videos of other birds does she exercise her vocal cords like that. She loves going on walks with me, and we frequently go outside to fly! (She's harness trained. :)) However, she's also very territorial and very possessive of me, which is something I'm going to have to work on. She absolutely hates my boyfriend, whom she has taken many a chunk out of. He no longer has feeling in the tip of his right pinky. I feel bad for the poor guy! Thankfully he loves birds, and understands the bond. Nevertheless, I am working on making our bond less "matey" and more friendly.

That's all for now, thanks for reading (if you got all the way through it lol)!
:red::green2::green1:

Attachments

• F8D8F9F3-589C-4E41-8903-EA46B912DB5E_1_201_a.jpg
    F8D8F9F3-589C-4E41-8903-EA46B912DB5E_1_201_a.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome Barb and Luna! Glad you joined. Love the picture, absolutely beautiful!!! Keep them coming :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Welcome! That picture is AMAZING. You and your boyfriend might benefit from reading everything ever written by Birdman666 in the macaw forums. Loads of great advice on these giant creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lunyluna

lunyluna

Apr 12, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
I've already started digging into that forum!!

Thanks for the advice :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome so glad you joined, that is a dynamic photo! Such a story in one picture :)!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome - great pic!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum!
As everyone else has stated, truly great photo.

FYI: Have your BF hold his had fully closed (fist) to limit damage to fingers.
Socialization is very important with MAC's as they are people magnets and the last thing you need is for someone else, let alone a child being bitten.

Happy that your MAC is working well in an Apartment setting. Not true for all MAC's.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Barb and Luna, kudos for rescuing a beautiful macaw. Thanks for documenting a bit of apartment life with a large parrot - it is possible!

Glad you joined, and none too soon! Might consider submitting your pic to our Photo of the Month Contest! Current theme is "Quarantine This" and many have shared pics of their birds in unusually close proximity. http://www.parrotforums.com/photo-month-contest/84952-april-2020-potm-contest.html

OP
lunyluna

lunyluna

Apr 12, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Welcome Barb and Luna, kudos for rescuing a beautiful macaw. Thanks for documenting a bit of apartment life with a large parrot - it is possible!

Glad you joined, and none too soon! Might consider submitting your pic to our Photo of the Month Contest! Current theme is "Quarantine This" and many have shared pics of their birds in unusually close proximity. http://www.parrotforums.com/photo-month-contest/84952-april-2020-potm-contest.html
Thanks for the heads up about the photo contest, I posted in there :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts