Should I get a second bird?

Duchessbird

Sep 6, 2019
St. Louis, MO, USA
Parrots
Female eclectus, male Stella's lorikeet
Hi all,

I have a lovely female eclectus named Duchess. I'm wondering if I should get another bird to keep her company while I'm at work. The house is totally empty except for her when I'm gone; I'm worried she gets lonely and bored. If I did get another bird, of course they would be in separate cages, but close enough to where they could appreciate one another's presence. Do you think it is a good idea? Or do you think she is okay being alone 9-5 each day?

Thanks,
Bailey

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am of the opinion that having more than one bird raises the potential for more harm than good. Between disease, injuries, "random" aggression, sexuality, over-bonding etc, it is indeed complicated.

That is not to say that it cannot work, but never get a bird for your bird (nor assume that your bird will take to any new bird in its home). This assumption is dangerous for all involved. Never get a bird for your bird unless you personally are willing to devote the time needed to caring for 2 separate birds in totally separate spheres (as this is the necessity in the worst-case-scenario--e.g., separate out of cage time, separate play, separate everything)...Even if 2 birds seem great at first, you can NEVER let your guard down---which is problematic when you are dealing with an already high-maintenance pet. Toes have been lost, birds have died, and owners have felt abandoned by their old companions with the introduction of new birds. In this case, you are worried you don't have time for one, so getting a second could mean double the time you already are taxed (if they don't get along or if they get along TOO WELL).

Again, not saying it can't be done...It is just a massive gamble. Many do make it work, but you have to be in it for the birds to see it through and willing to deal with the potential for added stress etc. If you work, I am not sure where you would find the time to deal with 2 birds independently (if they didn't mesh).

If you feel like your bird is lonely, you have to understand that any acceptable filler will replace your bond in 80% of cases...So, if you are gone enough that your bird IS lonely, you will be less important to your bird than a bird to which it bonds. That is not to say that a new bird will bond with your bird (again, they often hate other birds or behave in unpredictable ways around them) but if it does, you may not like the result. They can also start laying eggs and become aggressive due to the presence of another bird.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Everything Noodles says is true.
But a big majority of us have multiple birds, and are happy with the extra drama and work.
I have two birds that don't get along, but the rest do. I personally feel their lives are enriched with a freinds, and freind/enemy....
But the most important thing is that you yourself truely want a second bird freind

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Great advice above.

Let’s add an Ekkie specific slant here: female ekkies are somewhat loners. In nature they spend most of their time hiding out in their dens while the males are flirting about.

So this “should I get a friend?” Is mostly you projecting your perception of loneliness on to her.

If you’re starting out with a female Ekkie, I wouldn’t consider a companion for so many reasons, not the least of which being very real threats of aggression/territoriality and hormones.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

I have asked myself and the forum on this matter before...

I didn't get the second bird. Kise is happy with flying around and paying with her toys while I'm at work,

Kise is a very active for an Eclectus. ^_^

Most Reactions