Should I get him?

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Today I went to our local bird store to pick up a few things. I always go into the aviary to see the birds. While I was in there, a Goffen Cockatoo flew onto my shoulder and immediately nestled into my neck. He let my kids pet him and is extremely friendly.

I asked the store owner for some information on this bird. Apparently his owner had to get rid of him due to his new wife not being a bird person.

What's holding me back from considering him is that he's 18 years old, plus they're charging $800 for him.

Should I not get hung up on his age?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Don't get hung up on his age.

Older birds can be a true joy, my amazon is 35 and i feel lucky that he knows so many things and I didn't have to train him.

Now his behaviour and health have to be looked at. Also if you want to add to your Flock right now. And if you do want to add is he a good choice for you. Do some research and some soul searching. Then the practicalities of the wallet.
I would love to take home all the needy birds everywhere it's just not realistic.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Most of my experienece with birds have actually come from adults, not young birds. Both of my conures were older birds, in fact, my mitred conure is now 19 years old this year! I adopted him 6 1/2 years ago. I have a bourke parakeet that's now 16-18 years old, a cockatiel that is over 15 years (don't know how much older, he could be in his 20's), two tiels of unknown age and, what I presume, my youngest tiel that's almost 12 years old! (And I've had her the longest - since she was 5 months old in fact!)

Cockatoos can easily live for 30 to 60 years, if not more.... (depending on health, environment, genetics, etc) so 18 is kind of young for them!

If you don't like the price tag, then speak to the pet store owner. Say you are interested but you aren't sure about the price. Have they vetted the bird? Is he free of disease? If he hasn't been vetted recently, that's going to be more money out of pocket. Does he come with a great cage with that price? Or is the $800 for just the bird? If just the bird, well, again, that's more money out of pocket you'll need to spend to get him a new cage.

The store may or may not be willing to negotiate.

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Yes, that's a great idea. Thank you!

We went back to see him again today. He hopped onto our shoulders with confidence, and really likes attention. I love his friendliness.

I especially wanted to see about the loudness of his call to make certain it isn't going to drive us crazy. Our little duskies shreak from time to time, but usually they make a variety of cute calls. This G2 sounds like what I'd envisioned a pteradactyl would've sounded like!:) I'll go back again just to be certain I can handle his calls for the long run.

Most Reactions

Latest posts