Should I let our buddy out of is cage

Jamie

Aug 31, 2010
North West England
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hi.. Sorry if I'm posting this incorrectly, still new and tried to post nder training but no joy..

We've had our baby IRN for just over a week he's 12 weeks old and was very tame when we saw him and broght him home. He used to come on our hands and was very friendly. All of a sudden he won't come on our hands when we do the 'step up'. He just wants to bite us, the bites are now getting harder and do hurt a little.

Looking at the other forums, questions and advice I need to give Janu (that's his name) more time to settle in. I appreciate Janu will start to get used to us and become more confident in time. But I'd like to know should I open his cage door and allow him out.

Trouble is we can't go near him to put him back as he jsut goes for us. When we left the door open yesterday he was happy to come out after a short while, after an hour or so he went back on his own. Should I carry
on with this and start to get him to take food from our hand (which he is happy to do) and try and get him to step onto a pearch/stick to stop him biting me.

My children who are 15 and 12 are now scared of him (so am I).

Regards

Jamie:rainbow1:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Have you tried using a short wooden dowel? One that's about 18 inches long is good.

Our Alexandrine doesn't like hands and we always use a dowel for him to step up or our wrists.

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Hi and welcome to the fourem. In my opinion you should keep his door open as much as posseble but only when your home. I think you should try to handle him or pet his neck or top of his head. That will let him know you won't hurt him, Its easyer when there young to tame them. Maybe try wraping him gentley in a wash cloth and cuddle him.
Hope this helps. Erik

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Hi and welcome to the fourem. In my opinion you should keep his door open as much as posseble but only when your home, he needs to be able to explore his new home. I think you should try to handle him or pet his neck or top of his head. That will let him know you won't hurt him, Its easyer when there young to tame them. Maybe try wraping him gentley in a wash cloth and cuddle him.
Hope this helps. Erik

Most Reactions