Should you own exotic pets ?

Keep exotic pets ?

• Total voters

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Every domestic animal is the descendant of wild ancestors. Without living with "exotic" animals, we would not live with animals. Also, many species would be extinct without captive breeding programs.

Now, on the level of personal pets, I think it is acceptable to own exotic pets as long as you give them the quality of life they deserve without endangering yourself or others. For example, my birds live in a cage, but they get lots of attention and mental stimulation as well as healthy food, safety, etc. I researched how to properly care for them before I got them. I could never provide the correct mental stimulation, diet, exercise, and proper safety measures to keep a tiger safe and happy, so it would be wrong for me to own one. Could someone do it? Of course! And while many people argue that no enclosure can match the freedom of the wild, I argue that in the wild animals die of disease, injury, starvation, and being preyed upon all the time - living in someone's house who is being responsible greatly decreases these unpleasantries. It is wrong to keep ANY animal in an unsuitable environment, but I would not say that no person could ever provide that environment. I think the members of this forum, all or most of whom live with birds in their homes, understand the demands of caring for exotic pets properly, and would be heartbroken if they were told they could not adopt feathered children any longer.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also let me add, a woman in my town was mauled by a pet bear when I was a child, and many areas of the country are suffering from infestations of non-native species. Any animal you take on is YOUR responsibility. If it breaks the law, YOU break the law. If it bites someone, that is on YOU. And if you decide you can't "handle it" any more, it is YOUR responsibility to find someone who CAN, or in a worst case scenario, see the animal put down. NEVER release captive pets into the wild EVER, especially when you have no idea what it could do to the eco system. even something is "harmless" as a goldfish can threaten native species and wreak havoc on the balance of life. But that said, stray cats and dogs spread disease, cause property damage, and threaten local pets and traffic as well. Animals you acquire are NEVER to be released. EVER.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Right now a lot of animals are considered exotic pets such as beta fish, ferrets, rodents, birds, corn snakes etc. Now I do not know much about reptile care but I do not see rodents, ferrets, birds, etc being a issue. Of course a line needs to be drawn such as large predators, primates, venomous snakes should probably no be in peoples homes or backyards. Of course some people have no qualms going after all exotics Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines one yahoo users wrote "Ban all exotics. Only humans, dogs and cats deserve to live in captivity where they don't have to fight for their lives and hopefully find food everyday. Hamsters, beta fish, ball pythons, budgies are all exotic and harmless and can live up to TWICE as long in captivity. But like I said, only humans, dogs and cats deserve the good life that a captive environment brings." Of course I doubt a budgie or hamster has a chance of outliving their owner. I am not a fan of mice and have a negative view of hamsters (the worst bite I ever received was from a hamster). But some people enjoy them and I do not expect everyone to share my likes and dislikes.

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
I see this debate a lot in the reptile community. All that really matters to me, is that the animal you decide to keep is healthy, happy, and there is no harm done by having it captivity.

Most Reactions

Latest posts