sick conure

3ssilliw

Jan 2, 2014
toms river/ nj
Parrots
sun jay conure
Please Help!! My 10 year old female conure Herbee is sick. Vet did xray and blood tests. Xray results show enlarged liver, some fluid in abdominal area, infection. Blood results show high white blood cell count, really low protein. She starting throwing up 5 days ago. Took her to vet next day. She was in chronic egg laying mode in December - laid 8 eggs total. Vet also gave her Lupron shot. This was 3 Lupron over last 5 years. She has been squeaking constantly and throwing her wings out and shivering during these on going episodes. Her eating is not great, but eating a little, not normal though, as well as water intake. Vet recommended giving baby food, so I bought a turkey and gravy one and a banana apple squash one. she is eating it a little and some of her cereal pellets and some grapes, orange and cantaloupe. She has not had a normal feces dropping in last 4 days. I see urine and uirates, but no feces. Vet seemed surprised, but I have been monitoring closely and see nothing. Worried about a blockage, which vet did not suggest a possibility. Also worried she has liver disease. No definitive answer from Vet, just to watch her, keep her warm and if not eating or drinking on her own, feed and hydrate her through syringe. I'm worried sick!!! She wants to be with me 24/7 and I have accommodated her by keeping her in blanket on my chest last 5 days except when I go to bed. Any suggestions/advice/comments would be so appreciated. I am at a dead end and don't know what else to do. Vet gave her antibiotic and pain/inflammation meds which I've been giving twice a day since 12/27. No real improvement seen. Again, worried about everything, but especially no feces coming out. Last Vet suggested giving her some mineral oil to help feces production. Please help! I love her soooo much!!!:rainbow1:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am sooo sorry to hear this I don't want to scare you but it sounds like the way I lost my Pacho in September 17.

She was female but had never laid eggs. My vet felt for a stuck egg and found nothing.

Could she have ingested something that is blocking her up?
Do you use one of those snuggle huts? Some birds have been known to eat the lining of the inside and cause serious problems.
Has the vet tried to do an x-ray?

I think my Pacho had been eating some of the string off of her rope perch but I will never know for sure.

I wish you all the best and pray for your bird.

texsize

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to see Herbee is so ill without a definitive diagnosis. Can we assume her vet is avian certified? Regardless, might consider a second opinion, especially if her current vet is willing to share information?

I deeply empathize with you, having a sick bird with a huge variety of symptoms can be paralyzing.

Please keep us updated, hoping for some better news.

Most Reactions