Sick female Ring Neck Parrot

claire2702

Sep 22, 2014
it is breeding time and my 2 ringnecks are doing all the right things, however the mum doesn't appear to be well suddenly. It appears to be something neurological and symptoms are: unco-ordinated, can't fly properly, crash lands, head moving around a lot and goes back in nest when unsure. When out of nest and above happens she appears to panic and both her and partner make dreadful crying noises.
She should have laid her eggs by now, but nothing is happening. Please advise what you think this is and what I can do.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
She could have an infection or even be egg bound.....feel her belly very carefully & see if you can feel an egg.....if she is egg bound, an avian veterinarian or a veterinarian that has treated birds will need to see her ASAP as this could be a life or death situation for her.....an egg could be pressing on internal organs and/or nerves, to cause the strange head movements & uncoordinated flying.....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
She really REALLY needs to see a vet right away. But be very gentle with her while you move her. My suggestion is to block her into the nest box and transport her in that. It would lower the stress of the move, and it eliminates the need to towel her into a carrier, which is dangerous with any sick or injured bird but especially one that could be egg bound.

Most Reactions