Sick Hahn's Macaw

Annabelle

May 27, 2012
I have a 13 month old Hahn's Macaw who has been ill for 6 weeks.
His symptoms started with loss of appetite, not playing, very thirsty, weak and just not himself.
First avian vet did choanal culture, total blood panel, fecal sample. All negative. He prescribed doxycycline.
No improvement for 3 days. Next went to avian vet in NYC who kept him in hospital for 2 days. Chlamydia, fecal, total blood analysis including kidneys, liver, etc. negative. Xray of body showed nothing abnormal. Prescribed baytril, acyclovir and anti fungal in case of aspergillosis.
12 days later and he is not getting better. He is lethargic, cannot perch for more than 20 minutes without getting tired, is tube fed and stays in a heated moisturized aquarium when not being held.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Being that he is so young I worry about about PDD. Sadly, there is no definitive test as of yet. There is a feces test that entails collecting feces for 3 weeks and testing. This is only done at Texas A&M, the only place I would ever have any lab work sent to.
Were all the results normal up till now? Asper usually presents with resp symptoms.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I am so sad to read this, I have no surgention but hope he will be cured.

OP
A

Annabelle

May 27, 2012
Thank you for your kind replies.
I feared PDD from the outset but the avian vets (up to 4 now) thought his symptoms did not fit the diagnosis.
He is negative for heavy metals, chlamydia, culture of choana and never had respiratory problems.
I feel like I am forcing him to stay alive by tube feeding.
He will not eat on his own anymore.
I don't know how to help him.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sometimes there is just failure to thrive. I feel terrible for you and for him. Did they test for ABV?(avian borno virus)
You know, I have seen so many birds come back from the brink. Don't give up on him. There is a wonderful Face Book group that you should ask to join. Type in Holistic Avian Care and Hoilistic Bird Care. These two groups have active vets and many experienced members that may be able to help you. You can friend me on FB-Judy Sturla Landeck

OP
A

Annabelle

May 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your help.
Your kindness is much appreciated.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
sorry to hear, my Hahn's is only 9 months old... any news or updates?

OP
A

Annabelle

May 27, 2012

Attachments

• L1010064.jpg
    L1010064.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 5,968

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Again, do you have FB? Would love to put you in touch with someone who really knows her stuff!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Good luck with your baby. Keep us updated.

Haleamanu

Jun 2, 2012
I have a 13 month old Hahn's Macaw who has been ill for 6 weeks.
His symptoms started with loss of appetite, not playing, very thirsty, weak and just not himself.
First avian vet did choanal culture, total blood panel, fecal sample. All negative. He prescribed doxycycline.
No improvement for 3 days. Next went to avian vet in NYC who kept him in hospital for 2 days. Chlamydia, fecal, total blood analysis including kidneys, liver, etc. negative. Xray of body showed nothing abnormal. Prescribed baytril, acyclovir and anti fungal in case of aspergillosis.
12 days later and he is not getting better. He is lethargic, cannot perch for more than 20 minutes without getting tired, is tube fed and stays in a heated moisturized aquarium when not being held.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Your bird is depressed and in need of a mate , try to sleep with him nd rub his butt a lot stimulate the feel good receptors, my Malluccan cockatoo master ares on my foot and she lays eggs 3 months later infertile but this makes her feel good so I let her. it sounds like your bird is not physically sick it is in the mental state of depression. Please don't get me wrong birds are very touchy feely , perch with him and see if he gets better
:grey::yellow1::white1::blue1:K:blue1::white1::blue1::22:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Haleamanu, That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read! So sorry to be so blunt but you couldn't be more wrong. You never ever sexually stimulate your bird! Ever! And this baby is only 13 months old and very ill.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
I have been in close contact with Ambra concerning her little Hahns boy who has been ill. Ambra has had him to 5 different doctors with various treatments and in hospital care. Yesterday Ambra contacted me. Sadly, her little boy flew to Rainbow Bridge. :( Ambra is heartbroken. Sometimes no matter how hard we try, no matter how much money we spend, no matter how much we love them, we cannot save them.
I am hoping that she will have a necropsy done to get the definite cause of his passing. Keep Ambra and her baby in your prayers please.
Wings high little man, fly free.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
i am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you went above and beyond to do the best you could for your baby. Alison and sweetie pie

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
So sad...thanks for the update Greyclpud. Definitely saying a prayer tonight and sending hugs!

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
This makes me so sad:(Thanks for the update and will be in my prayers.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I have been in close contact with Ambra concerning her little Hahns boy who has been ill. Ambra has had him to 5 different doctors with various treatments and in hospital care. Yesterday Ambra contacted me. Sadly, her little boy flew to Rainbow Bridge. :( Ambra is heartbroken. Sometimes no matter how hard we try, no matter how much money we spend, no matter how much we love them, we cannot save them.
I am hoping that she will have a necropsy done to get the definite cause of his passing. Keep Ambra and her baby in your prayers please.
Wings high little man, fly free.

I am so sorry to hear that... Please pass on my condolences. We all know how hard it is to lose a beloved companion - you have our support, prayers and well wishes. Know that you did everything you could, that you loved your baby up until the end. You gave your baby a loving home and those loving memories will be imprinted upon both of your hearts.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Modified from the original here: Poems and prayers for pets...

(If you want me to remove this/or if it is inappropriate, let me know... I read this poem myself once and it made me feel better; originally written for dog, but I've changed it slightly)

I Remember
I perched at the top of your bed last night, I flew in to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying. You found it hard to sleep.

I cooed to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached out to me.

I was with you at the shops today. Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I fly with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently land on your shoulder, I kissed your cheek and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was perched right there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "Good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll fly across to greet you and we'll be together, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.

Most Reactions