Sick parakeet

Arianm27

Feb 21, 2024
Parrots
2 parakeets
Hi, I currently have a sick parakeet which has thisweird growth on her beak as well as above her beak and in her feet.i thought it was mites so I treated her with the dyna - mite spray lice wash and it seemed to slightly help but it seems to continue spreading. She was perfectly fine when I first got her. Also one her of claws has started curling upwards and I don't know why please help. home remedies preferred, thank you 🙏🏻

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3995.jpeg
    IMG_3995.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3996.jpeg
    IMG_3996.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 13

as31

Feb 19, 2024
Parrots
cherry head conure
I am certainly no expert but I would definitely take her to the vet to learn more. Then you can go from there on what to give.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also recommend an avian vet as I believe she needs treatment that can't be done at home. How long have you had her?

I think that there is a possibility that it is scaly mites.
I don't think that what you used is effective on them, there are specific medicines for some kind of mites. I've always used Ivermectin that was prescribed by my vet for my birds who came to me with scaly mites.

I found this:

Scaly Mites In Birds

And this:

If left untreated, scaly leg mites can cause pain, deformities, loss of toes or lameness.

Here are a list of vets who see birds, just in case you need to find one:

Avian Vet Resources

I hope a diagnosis can be found, I'm sending healing prayers to you and your beautiful baby.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts