Canary possibly sick

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
My 9 month old male Canary was acting strange yesterday.

He is fully tame and can be handled, and he trusts me and my hands fully, which is why he showed his symptoms to me and hid them in front of others.

I've changed his diet from a seed and dried fruits mix only, to Dr. Harrison's a month ago, and he has been eating it well, but a few days ago he threw up. I knew because he shook his head and flung food out of his mouth.

I picked it up and saw some undigested pellets inside. From then on I have been crushing his pellets, and the vomiting problem seems to be solved, he eats well and is active.

But yesterday when I returned to him in the afternoon I noticed he was closing his eyes and breathing with his mouth open. He normally eats millet very well, but yesterday he went to sleep without eating anything since afternoon. I had never seen this. I have been monitoring his waste as well, and it has slightly changed to a more lighter brown color, but the urates otherwise look fine and his urine is clear, though he may be drinking in excess.

Yesterday I contacted all possible vets, but none of them were open or were unwilling to help a bird as they aren't experts. The only vet that is nearby is open tomorrow and I worry about my bird.

Today he is eating well, I gave him mashed boiled egg with eggshells, dried fruits, pellets, seeds, and oatmeal with chamomile tea.

He is outside of the cage now and is jumping around well, eating millet and responds to training and handling well.

I am going to the vet tomorrow, but for now I'd like to hear what he could be suffering from?

Does anyone here know what these symptoms are?

He does not make a clicking sound when breathing at night. I have been checking for a few days. Additionally I clean his cage and perches daily, give him fresh food and water daily. He is in a warm room at all times and is not exposed to stress, aside from yesterday when I did a deep clean of his cage.

At times he does make a clicking sound when he crunches his beak and clicks his tongue, but that's it. Eyes clear, no nasal blockage or running, no mites anywhere in the cage.

He played with his toys today as well and flies fine.

Does anyone know anything?

I wrote down every single detail just in case it's relevant.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First, welcome! I'm happy you found us:)

I just wanted to clarify - has your canary been eating any seeds? Or just pellets?

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
First, welcome! I'm happy you found us:)

I just wanted to clarify - has your canary been eating any seeds? Or just pellets?
He eats about 70% pellets and 30% seeds (several kinds of seeds such as canary grass seeds, linseed, rape, and corn seeds) along with vegetables when he feels like it.

He gets cooked egg every so often and I put calcium into his food.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Okay, good. That's about what we feed our soft bills, but a little heavier on the seeds in our case.

With no clicks, that likely means no air sac mites.
Was yesterday the only time he behaved like this?
I don't have any diagnosis, and am not a vet. But I do wonder if perhaps he had a small stroke or seizure. Both of which are treatable, I don't want that to scare you:(

Please update us on how he's doing and what the vet says. Sending healing hugs filled with love to your precious boy.

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Okay, good. That's about what we feed our soft bills, but a little heavier on the seeds in our case.

I don't have any diagnosis, and am not a vet. But I do wonder if perhaps he had a small stroke or seizure. Both of which are treatable, I don't want that to scare you:(

Please update us on how he's doing and what the vet says. Sending healing hugs filled with love to your precious boy.
Thanks for your support. As long as it's treatable I'd be willing take on any disease.

It's very difficult to see him not eat like that, and close his eyes. I will udpate you as soon as we've been to the vet. Otherwise, I'd be happy to hear other owners' suspicions on what it may be.

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu

I keep forgetting to respond to other parts of comments. I haven't had any sleep because of him. Very concerned.

Yesterday is the only time he ever closed his eyes and breathed with his mouth open.
He was only ever breathing with his mouth when I first bought him out of stress, but never with closed eyes.

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
My canary is healthy and is not suffering from any disease. The doctor thinks it might be a one time thing. His breathing sounded great, eyes clear, everything good.

We still got a multi-purpose antibiotic prescription in case he ever needs it.

It's great that he's not sick.

Most Reactions

Latest posts