sick sun

diadins

Jul 10, 2013
WI
Parrots
Sun Conure-Iris
Im completely freaking out! I just finished giving my sun iris her shower and in the middle of it I noticed that she has a huge sac behind her neck on her shoulder. There are no feathers there and it is filled with either liquid or air, I can't tell. Her poops are also very watery and much more frequent. She is still acting normally but I am very worried. Some sites say its ok others say its an emergency. It is Sunday night and nothing is open! What could it be and has anyone else's bird ever had something like this??? It wasn't there a few days ago!

HELP!!!:11:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Do you have an emergency vet clinic anywhere near? A lot of clinics have an emergency number you can call after hours. Is there any way you can post a photo of Iris's shoulder? I'm sorry, the best advice I can give is to try to at least talk to an avian vet tonight and make an appointment for her as soon as you can.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
It sounds like it could be a ruptured air sac and while it is serious, it is not as serious as it would be for one of your lungs to be leaking air into your chest cavity.....

You don't mention whether you have an avian vet near by.....if not, call the vet you normally use or, if you don't have a vet, call the first one in your local phone directory and ask them if the could recommend a veterinarian who treats avian patients, particularly birds that may have airsaculitis or a ruptured air sac.....

As for the watery poop, birds that have just showered or just bathed, will normally have watery poop.....

Good luck.....hope everything works out OK.....

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Any updates on Iris?

OP
D

diadins

Jul 10, 2013
WI
Parrots
Sun Conure-Iris
UPDATE:

The closest avian vet is 2 hours away. I called them up and they believe it is a ruptured air sac. They told me to watch it and I have been monitoring it closely. It has gone down and she isn't sensitive about it anymore. They did tell me that once it has happened she may be more prone to it happening again. Does anyone know how this happens? I want to do whatever I can to make sure it doesn't happen again. It is the worst when one of the birdies isn't well :( Happy note: I will say we got some extra good cuddles in the last few days just wish she didn't have to be unwell to get them.

Most Reactions