Signs of a Bird Flipper

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have been looking at CL ads for a while now and wonder what are signs of a bird flipper? How about when you talk to them on the phone?

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Many bird flippers are great at making up stories that pull on your heart strings. Sometimes it's hard to figure them out, many times however they will ask a lot for their birds. I just saw it happen at a bird show, the flipper said she was a rescuer (she has been telling us this for over a year) she came in with a blue and gold macaw that she claimed she has had since she was a baby. The poor bird reeked of smoke, she was a nice bird but she brought her to the show in a small wire cage (she claimed she had a large cage at home) The person that bought the bird actually got a good deal on the bird price wise. They were told the bird was 3 years old. I found out later that week that the bird was purchased at an auction and that it was not dna'd (she claimed it was dna'd and was a female) The bird was well over 20 years old. The people that got the bird love her and will give her a great home however we have seen this person lurking around at other shows and I make sure that I alert anyone that will listen when she shows up.
I think that you have to decide what you want as far as a baby or a rehome. Once you make that decision you just have to do the best "due diligence" possible. Then you just have to find the right bird. If it is a rehome then just make sure that you really, really want that particular bird. If the price feels right for the bird, I'm not sure it matters where or how the bird came to you. Like I said the people that bought the blue and gold were told many, many lies however they are happy with the bird just not the seller. Just like in any other purchase "buyer beware". You have to make sure that you feel a strong bond with the bird you are bringing into your home. Make sure to get it vetted properly and go from there. This is a strong reason that I have chosen babies as my pets. I feel like I spent alot of money on the rescue I took in. It took alot of patience to work with her for the year and half that I spent getting her better socialized. I decided that for my personal pets because I have children and a husband that are not as comfortable with birds as I am but want to be able to handle and interact with our birds so babies made more sense for us. I came very close to bringing home a cag that is 36 and had alot of baggage. Very few people could handle him. He however allowed me to hold him and interact with him. He had an amazing vocabulary, he was hysterical! I loved that bird, but I knew that I would be the only one able to interact with him. I took too long deciding and someone else got him. I was very, very sad that I missed out on having him as part of my life. I felt immediately a connection with this bird. He once bit me quite badly on my lip and it still did not deter me. I think that you will know when you meet the right bird. I would again think about whether you want to go the route with a rehome or a baby and then go out and meet some, you will know the right bird when you meet him/her! good luck!

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I have reported a seller of birds on CL to the SPCA. They always have ads, of different birds, and so many of them. I emailed the SPCA and they replied to my email, saying they will investigate. I have not heard back again.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have always felt to go with rehomed first but now that I am the one looking, I feel I must practice what I preach. The problem I have encountered is I found a bird I am interested, but in conversation, what the owner has told me keeps changing. Now I do not want to go see the bird. It is not the bird's fault that she will be rehomed which bothers me the most. I do not feel comfortable about it any more. Poor bird.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Merlee, I feel that you have a big heart! I too wanted to rehome birds and as I have said did to one. I spoke about it as well to my breeder. He has been in this business for a long, long time. He takes in many, many unwanted birds as people are always wanting to "dump" their birds on him. In fact I was there a couple of weeks ago and two men walked in with a cage and a box. They plunked it down on the counter and said "here take them!" then they shook the box and said "ok I think it's still alive" So here was my breeder and the co-workers staring as well as me as the men kept talking about how their aunt had a lot more and they could only get these away at this point. They walked out and my breeder now has these cockatiels and love bird. The love birds beak was so long and over grown (dead at the end) that it was literally poking the bird in the chest area. I guess what I'm saying is that there are unwanted birds everywhere, it is sooooo heartbreaking. I wish that I could open a rescue, a good rescue and really help many of them. However that is not a possibility for me. Trust me I keep thinking that I would love to have more land so that I could. You have to decide what you want. If it is a rehome then there will be many times that the people might be less than honest but as you say it isn't the birds fault. If you want to start with a baby there is nothing wrong with it. Don't beat yourself up about this. I felt guilty when I bought my can baby at first that I wasn't rehoming a bird in need. I don't anymore, I have a wonderful member of my family in Dorothy. There is no right or wrong answer, it is wonderful to rehome a bird in need, it is also wonderful to raise a baby and watch the bond grow!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I feel a bird flipper may be spotted by how much they care for the bird as well as the amount they're asking. I know Rosie wasn't a flipped bird. my friends got her from a lady out front of a pet store for free, all the lady told them was that her husband was going to kill the bird that my friend named Rosie and gave no other info.

Kenji's old parronts were wonderful, they invited me to their home to first meet him, and had several people(different times) come so they had options. Although their add said a $500 adoption fee they never once mentioned it, and in the end said any money I would have used should go to spoiling Kenji. We talked about our favourite bird store, and also the vet since we both loved the same avian vet. They wanted to transport Kenji to my house and help him get settled in, I loved that! I got to show them were his cage would be located after quarantine, and they also got to meet Rosie.

A person adopting out a bird should care about the bird, not ask the price for a baby of that species, and truly care about the birds well being. I believe a flipper would ask for more money, possibly change their story, and not have the bird be their first priority. Push to meet in person, see the environment the bird is coming from, and if you have any suspicious feelings don't let them know were you live.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Well here is what happened. The lady said at first that she needed the money to get a different house. I was ok with that. Her condition in the ad was that the bird be fed pellets. I told her I was ok with that and told her the brand I liked. She then asked if I had or currently owned a bird. I then told her about my macaw and how I got my rehomed yellow nape. She immediately asked if I would swap my YN for her dyh. I was absolutely floored and said there was no way I would. She said her bird preferred her husband over her and her feelings were hurt. Later in the conversation she said she wanted a YN rather than keep this one. I was amazed at this too. Later she said she was not sure if she was going to keep it or not because she and her husband were attached to it. Next day she said she would sell because she trusted me and would take care of it. Then, she said her husband would not let her keep two so in order to get a different one she would have to sell. Ok, that's understandable. Another day she tells me she would be going north and wanted to know where I lived so she can bring the bird to me. Umm red flag. She said she was possibly going north to pick up two yellow napes in PA. Another red flag. Why was she doing that if her husband said only 1 bird in the house. There is more to the story, but I am absolutely convinced she is not a true bird lover looking for what's best for her bird. The bird originally came from an older couple out in the country and the current owner had her for 1 year. It has never been vetted and the lady did not purchase a new cage, but is charging me for it. She even offered to meet me halfway somewhere. Umm, where can I see her step up or see if we click? A parking lot? Like I said too many holes in her story which makes me a bit leery of doing business with her. Does this sound like a flipper or just a bad parront?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
To me it sounds like a cross between a bad parront, and/or a hoarder :( seems like all she wants is a new bird, and doesn't care about the birds themselves. Clearly she is not bird savvy.... If she's willing let the bird go for a small adoption fee I say go for it, if possible ask if you can pick him/her up from her house. At least if it doesn't work out with this particular bird your responsible and can always find a excellent home. Try to see her set up without out right saying it, if it's bad enough you can report her. But keep in mind if you do take that bird, another will surely take it's place. It seems there's a no win scenario.

I can't say if she's a flipper or not, haw much was she asking?

Last edited:
OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I think it's all about the money. She would take no less than $725 which is too high IMO. People within a 4-hour radius of me are asking $700-$900, but then later the prices drop. I have talked to two people and they were willing to drop to $500 or $600 with so-so cages and accessories because they just want to get rid of the bird. These birds are neglected in many ways and need a lot of work. I am not sure I am up to the challenge.

I told her I would pass. All the conflicting information she gave didn't sit well with me. I would like to be able to trust whomever I got a bird from. The eagerness to come to my house with the bird before I had a chance to look it over really scared me too. What if it was sick and she was trying to unload it on me?

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
She wanted you to SWAP your birds?!? Yeah freaking right lady!!!!! :eek: yikes yikes yikes!! I would definitely NOT tell that lady where you live- she sounds crazy and just out to make a quick buck.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Yep, her bird for mine. NO WAY! How many people offer to bring their bird, which is for sale, to a prospective owner for examination? Very odd indeed. Then she wanted to charge me for her gas when she was considering go north to pick up 2 birds anyways. If her current bird was not bonded to her, what is she going to do with two, which her husband supposedly did not want?

Now, I wouldn't have minded the drive to Florida, but I could tell it was all about her best interests, not the bird's.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Ok, I learned real quick this week. My instincts were right on. The more I spoke to a particular CL seller, the more confident he/she becomes that you are hooked and are going to purchase their pet. If you give them enough rope, the truth comes out the more you talk to them, and they hang themselves with their lies.

The worst thing is that the bird I was interested in will be in its 3rd home in 2 years if there was any truth to the information given. Poor soul. I hope it ends up in a great home.

The lady accused me of being a hoarder if I were to have 3 birds. lol. I guess that's better than not having integrity and telling lies to sell something. :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts