onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So Ona is apparently completely obsessed with little silicone things to chew on. Like these little Nintendo Switch joystick caps she claimed from me.

IMG_4658.jpeg

Any ideas for small toys I could get similar to this? I was looking at silicone baby teething rings but they are big so I’m not sure if she’d like them.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Would something like this be safe?

Or

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Would something like this be safe?

Or

Silicone is inert and used for many purposes in plastic and reconstructive surgery so I wouldn't worry about it. She would probably love those little decorative things people put on their Crocs.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It would depend on if she is eating any of them or not. Silicone is inert and because of that any ingested bits are not going to be digested and possibly block her system. Me I only use stainless steel, hard plastic, natural fibres and wood for toy materials.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
She doesn't seem to eat them judging by the little bits I see shredded all over the place :LOL: I may try to get some of the teething beads to see what she thinks of them.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It would depend on if she is eating any of them or not. Silicone is inert and because of that any ingested bits are not going to be digested and possibly block her system. Me I only use stainless steel, hard plastic, natural fibres and wood for toy materials.
Are you ever worried about them swallowing natural fibers or pieces of wood? Wouldn't their system get blocked if they swallowed anything inedible?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Inadvertantly swallowed anything can be a problem, But I check under Saltys hang out areas and there is always a pile of fibers or wood. I am assuming he knows not to eat that stuff, same as in the wild. He is on a big basket material kick lately but there is a big pile of that stuff under him so I am not worried.

Of ourse, no one is 100% sure that their parrot is not eating anything that is bad for them like plastic, rubber, fibre or what ever, you just have to keep an eye out for small pieces of the stuff and make an educated guess that they aren't ingesting any. OMG, the only way would be to weigh the toy or whatever and collect the small pieces and schnibbles of the stuff and weigh that too. Maybe for a Science project, but to do that every day? Man I would rather weigh my dog and collect the hair around the house to see how much she is shedding!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Inadvertantly swallowed anything can be a problem, But I check under Saltys hang out areas and there is always a pile of fibers or wood. I am assuming he knows not to eat that stuff, same as in the wild. He is on a big basket material kick lately but there is a big pile of that stuff under him so I am not worried.

Of ourse, no one is 100% sure that their parrot is not eating anything that is bad for them like plastic, rubber, fibre or what ever, you just have to keep an eye out for small pieces of the stuff and make an educated guess that they aren't ingesting any. OMG, the only way would be to weigh the toy or whatever and collect the small pieces and schnibbles of the stuff and weigh that too. Maybe for a Science project, but to do that every day? Man I would rather weigh my dog and collect the hair around the house to see how much she is shedding!
I know it would be impossible! Since Rocky swallowed some cannabis a few weeks ago I don't know what else she would swallow if given half a chance, that's why I won't let her wander around on the floor anymore. I can't possibly keep my floors immaculate because I live on a dirt road so some dirt and grit always gets tracked in. I suppose some sudden deaths in pet parrots may be due to getting impacted from swallowing stuff.

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
So Ona is apparently completely obsessed with little silicone things to chew on. Like these little Nintendo Switch joystick caps she claimed from me.

View attachment 52781

Any ideas for small toys I could get similar to this? I was looking at silicone baby teething rings but they are big so I’m not sure if she’d like them.
i have 2 silver grey's both approx. 23 years old i normally go to charity shops and look for kids toys buy for them home and sterilize them before handing them to the boys to destroy. i found the best age group toys is from 1-5 years old i was looking at the wooden toys but i remember what happened to a ladder i paid a lot of money from a pet store and it was destroyed in lass than a week they also love a thick cardboard box to get their beaks into one of them Georgie has a huge Tomas the tank engine he is throwing all over the place he even carry's up the top of his side of the cage and drops it probably trying to break it up thankfully its a large twin cage they have the other one has a deer antler he climbs up and try's to play hoopla when his not pulling the rings apart

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
I know it would be impossible! Since Rocky swallowed some cannabis a few weeks ago I don't know what else she would swallow if given half a chance, that's why I won't let her wander around on the floor anymore. I can't possibly keep my floors immaculate because I live on a dirt road so some dirt and grit always gets tracked in. I suppose some sudden deaths in pet parrots may be due to getting impacted from swallowing stuff.
not so bad with the cannabis (pot) is one of the ingredients in general bird food
its the little black balls is the pot and probably why so many old people get arrested in the uk for growing cannabis in their back yard its where they empty the old bird food

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
not so bad with the cannabis (pot) is one of the ingredients in general bird food
its the little black balls is the pot and probably why so many old people get arrested in the uk for growing cannabis in their back yard its where they empty the old bird food
Hemp seed doesn't contain much THC if any do it's safe for bird and human consumption without worry of psychotropic effects but Rocky got really stoned for about 36 hours after chewing on and swallowing strong cannabis bud. It's legal in Maine US where I live and we grew it ourselves. I was very concerned about Rocky because she's just a little budgie and she was swaying on her perch, all puffed up and sleepy. At first I thought she was sick then I remembered I had caught her chewing on a bud that fell on the floor the night before and noticed that she was eating a lot and realized she was stoned. Sick birds don't generally have a good appetite. I would have taken her to her vet but was a Saturday and all avian vets were closed until Monday. After a day and a half of watching her very closely she was back to her old self and I'll never let that happen again. I don't know whether she enjoyed being stoned but she can't consent so I'm not going to allow it.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Order from American Teething Supply came in. Seems like some good stuff. Made this little toy for her out of some of it. She’s a little scared of the bigger ones right now but I think she’ll come around.

IMG_4709.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts