Site Newbie: Question 1 (hundreds to come..haha)

GrammyGoBoom

Sep 3, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
I have posted the story of Gracie under my introduction who is a Scarlet Macaw I will be rescuing on Friday. My first question is:

If the owner is terrified of Gracie and Gracie surely will not trust me, having never seen me in her life and is known to be a biter when scared, what is the best way for me to get her into a traveling cage. My plan currently is to use a very large plastic dog crate for now but the challenge will be to get her to go inside.

I asked the owner how she transported and she said the previous owner had to grab it by the beak and force it in the cage. I would like something less traumatic for both of us if possible. I asked about encouraging her with a really special treat and she said that has always failed in the past.

Suggestions please! I am trying to get as much ready as possible before Friday. OMG I just realized it is already WEDNESDAY... YIKES!:red1:

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
First thing I would recommend is getting yourself a pair of gloves, I think it is the lamb gloves which are super, super soft. A lot of people will scream when they see this saying the bird will freak out with a pair of gloves and they might have been the case with birds that were imported years ago but birds born and raised here in the USA after all these years know that humans wear clothes and are not freaked out at them.

The reason you want soft gloves is it is softer for the bird and does not feel as harsh. If you do get bit you will also not feel it as much but follow through with what you have to do.

Next you will need a LARGE thick towel or a smaller size blanket will work too. Easyiest way is if the bird goes to the bottom of the cage, just throw the towel on top and go in and quickly scoop up the bird. If the head is under the towel, that is good as all you want to do is scoop quickly and move to the carrier which is right next to the carrier.

If the bird gets out of the cage on you don't freak out. Try to corner him and throw the towel on top. A lot of Macaws will throw themselves onto their back in order to use the beak and feet to defend themselves. Throw the towel totally over, scoop up using one hand on each side and place into the carrier towel and all. The bird will tend to stay at the back of the carrier and you carefully take the towel back out.

The carrier needs to have a perch in it, low to the ground and about 4 inches from the door so she can grab onto it when driving and all. You really only want a medium size carrier, not something larger than 27L 20W 19H in the event there is an accident or sudden stops and the bird gets thrown, the bird cannot open up the wings fully which is their automatic response, wings get broken and them less of a flying projectile into the side of the carrier. No toys in the carrier either which can go flying and kill a bird.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
I should add to use the above methods if you find Gracie is not friendly towards you and you need to put this emergency plan in effect.

First try using the bribery methods. Bring lots of treats, especially pine nuts and see if she won't come to you on her own first. Toys, bring along a few of those and see if you can't get her interested in you that way. Macaws by nature are curious and want to be in the mix of things. If at first you don't succeed, turn your back on her and position a hand with a nut in it while you have your back turned, cage door open and finger holding onto a bar of the cage so if she comes over to get the nut maybe she will step up onto your arm. Sometimes you have to be creative but if you present yourself as being a fun person you have a better way of winning her over.

If this Plan A does not work, then resort to the above Plan B

Most Reactions

Latest posts