Skunked

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Last night my dog was sprayed w/a skunk! The skunk visits us from time to time & Dawg was determined to confront it. She is very sorry! My husband was so shocked (he almost got it too) that he paraded her thru my entire house. I have bathed her in hydrogen perioxide, baking soda & dish soap. She smells better, not perfect I think I'm going to do it again. She did touch anything but the floor in the rooms affected, but the odor is horrible. I have allergies so I can't use deodorizers (not to mention Merlin). I have hardwood & tile floors so I have used my steamer everwhere. The smell persists. My husband is @ the store buying white vinegar to mist the air. Anyone faced this problem? Any solutions I didnt think of? I know its tempting to laugh, but its not funny yet! :mad::11::09:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww an lol

i work with a host of smells :) (working with the elderly)

have you tried bi-carbonate of soda, rub it into the porous grout areas between tiles, it could make the grouting paler, but you'll need to leave it on for a bit before washing it off

best not to use any product that will mask the smell, i find that when product breaks down, the smell is worse!!

crush fresh rosemary in warm water, will be nice, and ok to rub over the dog, it also has antiseptic qualities

but lmao the poor dog! if my partner had walked dog back into house etc, i'd have some rather choice words to say to him!

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
:54:...sorry, trying very hard here!

In South Africa we have a product called Vanilla Essence, do you get it where you are? It might help....good luck!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Cans of tomato juice. I soak my dog in large cans of tomato juice. Of course she's a large dog so it took the whole can. She was sprayed twice by skunk....I was so mad at her the second time, its like she didn't learn from the first time....lol. Petco also sell that skunk shampoo, so I use both....lol. cause it STINKS!!!!

OP
merlinsmom13

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
I used the perioxide & baking soda w/a little dish soap. It really worked, but it was right outside my door & seeped in the house. Not to mention her progress thru the house. It seems to float in the air (is that possible). I'm still working on the house, its terrible. Suebee i didnt have rosemary, but I boiled lavendar on the stove & it helped. Will look for rosemary tomorrow. I've spent the day wash everything in site & all of her bedding. Shes a smart dog, surely I don't have to worry about it happening again. My husband was a step behind her when it happened, boy is he lucky. She foamed @ the mouth & her eyes were tearing. We washed her face immediately, but locked here in the barn for the night. 7am dog bath. I'm just thankful that the weather was warm & we could do it outside.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
When my dog got sprayed, it was at 2am she wanted outside.... imagining me going to the store at 2:30 in the morning then bathe her in that stuff then blow dry her. She's 60lb husky....then have to be at work by 10am....I was dragging....she had to be bathe right away cause she sleeps with us...she would wine all night if she's not in the bedroom....

OP
merlinsmom13

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
She probably whined all nite, but I could not hear her. She was fine, only stinky. Shes spoiled rotten, probably the only time she didn't sleep in the house since she lived w/us. Shes a remarkable dog, we found her on the interstate hit. We took her to the vet & 1200.00 later we had a bionic dog. She was poisoned by a neighbor & survived. When she was recovering from the poison, she ate a dead sparrow & back we went. She was a victim of the dog food poisoning (actually it was cat food, I lost my 18y manx cat) she survived. Steriods for 2 years for that one, i managed to ween here off of them. That poison caused anemia in dogs & kidney failure in cats. Shes healthy now. I thought avian vet bills were bad, but this dog is tops. I should have named her goodbye cash. lol Shes better tonight, lying at her daddies feet. Thanks for all the input

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Oh my...I do remember when that happened...I was freaking out big time...I had to find out all the brands that was recalled. But I was lucky the food we feed wasn't one of them. We feed Nutro Natural Choice for the dogs and Natural Balance for the cats.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Cans of tomato juice. I soak my dog in large cans of tomato juice. Of course she's a large dog so it took the whole can. She was sprayed twice by skunk....I was so mad at her the second time, its like she didn't learn from the first time....lol. Petco also sell that skunk shampoo, so I use both....lol. cause it STINKS!!!!

I have heard that tomato juice works best but I wasn't sure if that was true or not!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Mythbusters proved that tomato juice works best - even better than commercial products

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Mythbusters proved that tomato juice works best - even better than commercial products

I washed her with both stuff at the same time....I just wanted to get that smell gone...lol. so I bathe her 3 times, first two with tomato juice, then last with the skunk shampoo....

OP
merlinsmom13

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
I couldn;t face the tom juice. The perioxide & baking soda worked great except for her head, you can get in their eyes. The smell still persists today in house, Dawg smells great. I was afraid of the commericial products because of Merlin. I think the stuff is airborne, I have used a steamer on everything & it still hangs on. Hopefully time will take care of it, its not as unbearable as the 1st nite. I don't know what Merlin thinks, but he hasn't tried to ride his dog for a couple of days.

Most Reactions

Latest posts