Skye pulled out 2 wing feathers...normal?

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
First cage cleaning was a few minutes ago. Guess who pulled out 2 of his clipped feathers...yup...you guessed it. Our brand new boy. I don’t think he has been clipped before, is this a normal reaction? Or just coincidence maybe? I really hope he isn’t going to start plucking all his feathers from the stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think they trimmed the feathers way to short.
I think he is treating himself and the cut feathers. Pulling damaged feathers ( cut feathers) is a way to stimulate his body to regrow new ones faster. I think he will be ok.
But I do think he was trimmed incorrectly. Budgies can fly pretty well even with clipped feathers sometimes so keep him safe. I know you plan on letting them grow back in and allow flight do that's great.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I found 2 of Nike's clipped feathers this week but unfortunately it means that she'll be flying again very soon. It's like she molts her wing feathers randomly and because she is such a strong flier, I have her trimmed such that getting back only 1 of the 10 primaries clipped allows her to gain altitude.

It could possibly be molting unless you witnessed her pulling them.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I think he is treating himself and the cut feathers. Pulling damaged feathers ( cut feathers) is a way to stimulate his body to regrow new ones faster. I think he will be ok.
But I do think he was trimmed incorrectly. Budgies can fly pretty well even with clipped feathers sometimes so keep him safe. I know you plan on letting them grow back in and allow flight do that's great.

I thought that as well but what’s done is done. Long term I want him to be able to fly around the house with supervision. But I cannot let him do that unless we can safely handle him. His feathers that are pulled out have barely any fluff left on the ends.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I literally just watched him pull this one out. He’s still going after his wings, the poor baby!

View attachment 23349

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I may be wrong, but it looks like there is some dried blood on the tips of the shaft, which means they were likely injured already or injured as a result of the short trim. Birds will pull a feather that seems "injured" in many cases.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I may be wrong, but it looks like there is some dried blood on the tips of the shaft, which means they were likely injured already or injured as a result of the short trim. Birds will pull a feather that seems "injured" in many cases.

If it is blood would it flake off? I tried to check and it feels smooth and it won’t come off in any of the spots that look blackish...

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots

If it is blood would it flake off? I tried to check and it feels smooth and it won’t come off in any of the spots that look blackish...

Ok, no clue how to edit, but I put some peroxide on it and it definitely bubbled, and the black stuff turned pink. Looks like it IS blood. But there is no visible blood on the bird. Weird.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
my guess is that it is inside the shaft--- feathers are hollow and when damaged, the blood can come out the end (if cut or broken). Peroxide can bubble on skin, but I do think it still looks like dried blood.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Give him a millit spray to pick at instead. They love millit and it will keep his mind off his feathers for awhile. Hopefully by tomorrow he won't feel as much discomfort

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male

I thought that as well but what’s done is done. Long term I want him to be able to fly around the house with supervision. But I cannot let him do that unless we can safely handle him. His feathers that are pulled out have barely any fluff left on the ends.

Not trying to stir any pots, but my birds were allowed to roam in the small area we live in before they were hand tamed...simply control light and use a millet spray to get them back into a cage if needed...they don't really dig dark, so keeping the light in areas you want them is generally pretty effective. If they like millet, you can use that as extra motivation.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots

Not trying to stir any pots, but my birds were allowed to roam in the small area we live in before they were hand tamed...simply control light and use a millet spray to get them back into a cage if needed...they don't really dig dark, so keeping the light in areas you want them is generally pretty effective. If they like millet, you can use that as extra motivation.

We have cats so for safety I’m not willing to try until Skye is tamed. The cats would be in a separate room when Skye is out but should they accidentally be let out (kids)I need to know I can safely get Skye out of danger ASAP. Probably just me being over protective.

Most Reactions

Latest posts