Sleep Talking Bird?

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Okay so my boyfriend and I were sitting here on the couch and Bella is out like a light [she's been asleep for a few hours] i told the dog to "get up" off the couch and Bella in the "sleepiest I'm dreaming voice" says step up four times and then silence.. that's all I heard. Can birds sleep talk? Input and stories would be greatly appreciated.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
They absolutely can! I wouldn't worry too much about it though, it's probably a sign that she's in a good deep sleep, a la human REM sleep. Hearing you speak triggered something in her brain, and she was probably dreaming about stepping up. :D

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
haha. thanks for the info. it's too cute that she was doing that!!!! Boyfriend & I are now laughing so hard on the couch!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am a very very light sleeper. Mishka my AG sleeps in my bedroom, near my bed.
I often hear her whispering words, calling me mom mommy mom.
LoL I think she just misses me

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
mossy,my hahns. snores! sometimes its really loud! (men huh?) xx

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Fred does the same. His eyes are closed, and in a little voice I hear him saying...It's ok, Good boy, What a good boy you are, What a pretty bird you are...It's the cutest thing, and it makes me feel like he's happy!

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Sharon that is too cute. I had a good laugh last night after she stopped talking..

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
My Catalina; Doogie will only say "Pretty, pretty, pretty" after the lights are turned out and at no other time. When I'm up in the night to the bathroom he hears me in the dark and says "Papa" I say "Pop" and says "Papa" back again. He must sleep alot durring the day to be awake to talk in the middle of the night

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Sam talks in her sleep..."pretty birds"..."pretty baby"...and "Gem!" Funny thing is, none of the phrases Sam repeats are really said to her in daylight but rather to the other three birds. Sam makes a clicking sound too and creaks like one of our old floor boards. Gem never talks at all...day or night, but for years old Merry has greeted me every morning as I uncover the cage with"get up!!!". Merry also used to call his infirm cagemate ,Skye, " sweet Skye". I haven't heard that once since Skye died several months ago.

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I love hearing everyone's stories about things their birds say. I'm hoping that since Bella is only 5 months old that she will start talking more and more. Right now she will only say stuff randomly!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I love hearing everyone's stories about things their birds say. I'm hoping that since Bella is only 5 months old that she will start talking more and more. Right now she will only say stuff randomly!

Don't worry about Bella, they all start off that way.
I can remember saying to Mishka when she was about 2 months
Please please just say one word, just one word Mishka
Today she does not stop for a second, it's fantastic

If you are interested to see how I trained Mishka to start talking

Training your bird to talk

Good luck

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Thanks for the link antoinette. I am hoping to make a cd later this week that she can listen too!

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
Ant,

How old was Mishka when she started talking?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ant,

How old was Mishka when she started talking?

I started teaching her to say hello love you from day one (got her at 6 weeks)
She was with me 24/7, sitting in my office, going with me on deliveries.
Mishka started saying ello I would say at about almost 4 months old.
Below is a video I think she was almost 2 or 3 months old
I think she was already trying to talk then
173.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sYyGulb9w"]YouTube - TALKING PARROT AFRICAN GREY MISHKA @ 2 MONTHS OLD[/ame]

Most Reactions