Small black ants

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
What can I do to control these ants? They are so small I had to use a jeweler's loupe to determine what they are, not joking. When the fresh food comes out for Early, they know it and swarm. I can't find a trail, entry point, or nest. I wash her cage multiple times a week, I cover food slinging areas with towels. I've tried ant baits, hidden from Early of course. No luck never seen an ant near one, haha.

CherylCali

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In North America those very tiny Ants are referred to as 'sugar' Ants. This since they appear like from nowhere when food, especially sweets (like fruits) show up.

To slow and to a point Stop them you have to start from two sides. First crazy cleaning of any area where the 'good stuff' sits and you have seen them. Use lots of bowls and tight lids. Now from the other side. Long slow walk around the outside of the house. Pull /cut back any bushes, flowers, plants in general including grass away from the foundation of the home. Target any place where the ground (soil) makes contact with the structures' wood surfaces and pull it back and away from the wood. Sweep porches, stairs and door openings of any build-up of sand /soil. With the windows and doors closed, use a industrial strength Ant Killer full around the home taking care to using it with care in those areas that foot traffic will carry it into the house. Example: Spray on the lift (back) of the step and not on the step itself. The Ant traps are great indoors, but take great care to pick them up before you let your Parrots out!

There are Sprays that can be used inside the home, but it would be safer to take the Parrots out of the home for the day. Example: Load the Parrots up for a ride, selectively spray areas that Parrot rarely go i.e. inside cabinets, etc... Never spray the Parrots cage or anything else the Parrots common are, like the floor.

Best of luck! It will take a little crazy time, but you can greatly reduce and possibly eliminate them.

Last edited:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
If might help, too, to spray down some vinegar where you're seeing them the most. Just make sure that the surface won't be harmed by the vinegar. It may help to deter the ants, and it's not harmful to your fids. It isn't going to kill the ants, but they may want to go in those areas less.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
CherylCali

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
Thank you all for help and advice, your wisdom is truly appreciated.

CherylCali

Most Reactions

Latest posts