Smaller cage until bird is tamed?

Joshaeus

Feb 28, 2014
The title is self explanatory...should birds be kept in a smaller cage until they are tamed, and then gradually introduced to their permanent cage?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am not sure what everyone else does, but I have always just put them into their permanent cage and trained from there.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I agree with Terry.

I see no point in putting a bird in a smaller cage until tamed unless you plan on forcing the bird to like you. I prefer to earn the birds trust and for that the cage size does not matter. A bird also does not need to be removed from their cage to start working with them and earning their trust, or to start training them.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The only time I put a bird in a smaller cage is if the big one freaked them out. Sometimes a smaller cage feels more secure at first. It has nothing to do with training though and mine ended up in the big cage after a week or so.

OP
J

Joshaeus

Feb 28, 2014
OK...so put the bird in the larger, permanent cage immediately? Understood. Thank you.

Most Reactions