Smoking Around Parakeet - PLEASE HELP

GB2323

May 6, 2015
Hi all,

My family owns a quaker parrot. We do our best to treat it very well (proper diet, give it ample space at home, bring it outside during the summer, 2 baths a week, give it an optimal amount of attention, etc.).

However, my mom is a smoker, which could potentially nullify everything else that we do for our quaker. Although she does take measures to eliminate second hand smoke, I am afraid that it may not be enough to stop the smoke from affecting my bird's health, so I want to ask you guys whether these measures are sufficient or not.

Firstly, when my mom is in our home, she sits beside a wood stove and exhales the cigarette smoke into it so as to diminish 2nd hand smoke. However, my parrot's cage is near the wood stove and there is no other ideal permanent spot to place the cage in the house. Despite my protests, my mom won't stop. I do my best to put the parrot on my shoulder during the times she is smoking beside the woodstove, but I cannot do it every single time because of my other obligations (e.g. studying or spending time outside the house).

Secondly, we usually bring our parrot outside in the backyard during the spring and summer and, sometimes, my mom will smoke in the backyard as well while the parrot is there.

I also want to add that I've tried to discuss this rationally with my mom but I have not succeeded. Although she is a good person and full of good intentions, I feel like her extremely addictive nature trumps everything else. She also seems not to believe that what she is doing affects the bird...

So I wanted your opinions on whether it is efficient to exhale the smoke into the wood stove. I also wanted to know if smoking outdoors in proximity to the bird is harmful as well. I guess I am just looking for some sort of reassurance, and maybe some compelling arguments that I haven't considered and that I could present to her (some sources, especially peer reviewed, would be appreciated - I couldn't find any sources saying that smoking outdoors in proximity to birds is bad)...

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Birds have extremely sensitive respiratory systems, so second hand smoke is a real health risk. :(

I understand this is your mom, but if she's visiting you in YOUR home, I feel she needs to obey by YOUR rules. And #1 rule = NO smoking in the house PERIOD. She can go outside if she must, but absolutely no smoking inside. Or are you talking about your mom's home here? If that's the case, I'd move the Quaker into a room where nobody smokes.

Your bird's health is at risk if he continues to be exposed to it. Smoking right by the wood stove is not enough to eliminate second hand smoke. And when your Quaker is outside, and your mom goes out for a cigarette, she should smoke as far away from your bird as possible.

OP
G

GB2323

May 6, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

It is her home, not mine (I live with my parents). Also, as I said in my first post, there is no other ideal permanent spot for the cage (very unfortunate living room design). I guess that's not an excuse though, but I'm not sure what to do.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
So, you are saying, the ideal permanent spot for the cage, is right next to the smoker! We have already decided we can't get your mom to smoke in a different area, so the compromise is to move the cage to the second most ideal spot in the house!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Can you put your bird in your bedroom with an air purifier and door closed? Though not ideal, it might be the best you can do for as long as you live there if you can't effectively convince her to change her routine.

OP
G

GB2323

May 6, 2015
The reason that the spot is ideal is because the top of the wood stove is a large surface on which the parrot likes to go. It's also where we keep her toys so she goes there to play with them.

But ok, point taken. I will move the cage elsewhere in the evening, which is usually when my mom sits there and smokes.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The reason that the spot is ideal is because the top of the wood stove is a large surface on which the parrot likes to go. It's also where we keep her toys so she goes there to play with them.

But ok, point taken. I will move the cage elsewhere in the evening, which is usually when my mom sits there and smokes.

Even though the spot is "ideal" for the bird because SHE likes to play there, I'm afraid it's still far from being an ideal place to keep her.

Why not keep your bird permanently somewhere else, and not just in the evenings? Again, I can't stress the importance of an air purifier. We don't smoke, but I couldn't live without mine! You can get a single room sized unit with HEPA filter for under $100. Good luck.

Velimir

May 5, 2015
Parrots
I rescue, foster, and rehabilitate as many parrots as I can take in.

I think everyone is being hard on you. You seem to care greatly about your bird and since you still live at home, I am assuming you are young. The fact that you noticed your parrot may be in danger is very, very good of you.

It could be hard to express your concerns to your mom. Addiction is a heavy burden. I used to be a smoker too. I would know. If your mom is not willing to listen to you about perhaps smoking outside, then maybe you can arrange a playstation for the parrot somewhere else? Put lots of toys there for him on a small table or buy a grapevine branch. Put some seeds into paper so he can have fun tearing them up and then get the reward.

While you are studying or otherwise busy, you can get him and put him in this area so he is not affected by the smoke (and he will be able to entertain himself). Maybe you can ask your mom to do it before she smokes?

The air purifier is a good idea also. The smoke will inhabit the walls and any porous surface. Even when she is done smoking, the vapors will remain. You may not be affected but the bird will be. Cleaning his cage often -- even if it does not look dirty -- is a good idea.

I have a bird that breathed secondhand smoke in his previous owner's home. He has severe respiratory issues now. Every breath sounds labored. It is quite sad. Not much can be done by the vet after the system is damaged.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
IMO, don't think anyone has come across too hard on the OP. In fact, I think the posts have been diplomatically stated here and based on genuine concern, and have given suggestions helpful ideas.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I also want to add that I don't think being next to a wood stove is ideal either unless it is NEVER used.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm glad you're finding a new place for your birds cage:)

Perhaps instead of playing on the wood stove (which is a danger in and of itself), how about you check out the DIY section of the forum and check out some posts on how to build a PVC play stand for him? It's cheap and easy, and gives him a safe place to hang out and play you can position away from smoke:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think everyone is being hard on you. You seem to care greatly about your bird and since you still live at home, I am assuming you are young. The fact that you noticed your parrot may be in danger is very, very good of you.

It's quite unfortunate that you feel anybody was being 'hard' on the OP, even though I don't think anyone was hard, only truthful.

Sugar coating doesn't always get results. :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I think the OP may be fairly young, but he took the bluntness very well! Also has excellent writing skills! Saying he, but?

GB2323
For sure, dig thru the do it yourself section, there are some fantastic ideas on making--Simple---Cheap play stands, cargo nets, etc! And by cheap, 10 bucks and up. Simple rule for PVC, don't glue! messy and not reusable.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Kudos to you for looking out for your bird! I would say move the cage and get a hepa filter ASAP.

OP
G

GB2323

May 6, 2015
Thanks again for the replies.

I just want to get this out of the way: the wood stove is never used and is covered with newspaper.

Also, I don't think anybody was being hard on me. In fact, I would understand if there was outrage given the fact that the effects of smoking on birds are well documented.

OP
G

GB2323

May 6, 2015
think that it would be better if I gradually move the parrot to a bedroom in the evenings. She really enjoys company and suddenly cutting it off from it would be harder for her to take. Call me crazy, but I do think that, for the moment, there is an optimum between my parrot's minor exposure to smoke (my mom exhales smoke into the wood and holds her cigarette inside it as well) and the amount of attention she gets. I tried putting her in the bedroom this evening, but she didn't take it too well.

Anyhow, I will look into perches and play stands. Youtube has some interesting things as well.

Thanks again guys

I have a bird that breathed secondhand smoke in his previous owner's home. He has severe respiratory issues now. Every breath sounds labored. It is quite sad. Not much can be done by the vet after the system is damaged.

Damn, that is sad and definitely a wake-up call. How many years was he exposed to smoke?

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
I have had to do some extended education around smoking for my job as a Nurse. Smoking can be as addictive as Heroin and this is well documented. If your Mom isn't willing to address the effects her smoking has on the bird it's up to you to protect your baby. If I were you I would move the bird. Any benefit your bird is getting from being near the wood stove for play is trumped by the danger to it's physical health caused by the smoking exposure. Cigarettes have been shown to contain over 7000(no typo) chemicals. It's well known that only the first fraction of the cigarette actually contains tobacco and the rest is shredded paper that has been sprayed by brown goo. The ingredients are constantly being changed to avoid control by government agencies so the dangers of what amounts to free-basting chemicals aren't always known. I used to smoke so I know first hand how difficult quitting the addiction is. It's not an excuse for your Mom but a reality that unless she chooses to change, you can't make it happen for her. In the meantime you have an innocent creature to care for. Good for you for being brave enough to put your issue out in public and ask for help! I am sure you have helped other people to be just as brave too! Looking at your posts here I think you know what you need to do. Please do keep us posted! And keep up the great work in making your home bird-friendly!

Velimir

May 5, 2015
Parrots
I rescue, foster, and rehabilitate as many parrots as I can take in.
There was one post that seemed a little harsh, in my opinion. I will not name names, though, because GB2323 is not offended. I think I can understand it because the matter is very important and emotional though.

I think the OP may be fairly young, but he took the bluntness very well! Also has excellent writing skills! Saying he, but?.

I agree with this.

Sometimes I am trying to educate people and "sugar coating" is the only way for me to get results. Since people come to me by choice and there are lots of other "methods" they can use to deal with problem bird, I have to be careful not to lose them but also show them the right way to do things. It is like that saying about collecting more flies with honey? Or something like that.

Damn, that is sad and definitely a wake-up call. How many years was he exposed to smoke?

I am not sure. He was one that came with very little information. One of the ones with the highest vet bills, too. But he is a good bird and found a home with a loving family that knows to be careful with him. The vet told me his aggression was because he might have become addicted to the smoke. I am not so sure about this because it seems like he would have died, but maybe that's why I am not a vet.

Anyway, good for you, GB2323, to look after your bird. I applaud your concerns for her!

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Even if she's not concerned about smoking around your bird, isn't she concerned about smoking around you???

Most Reactions