Smoking

medspec71

Dec 27, 2010
Hi... I am not a parrot owner yet, but I am interested in buying one that is needing a new home. The parrot comes from a home where they've been smoking. How compromised could her health be? I noticed her feathers weren't as vibrant as some I've seen on the internet, but they said she was starting to molt. I'd rather not buy the bird then find out she has health problems related to the smoking. I would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Nicotine is toxic to birds respiratory system and most other body systems including the feathers. If you want this bird that is wonderful to get it out of that environment. I would take the bird to an avain vet immediately and see whats up. Most likely it will be fine once out of that smokers home. Good luck.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I agree with SB. We proper care her lungs can improve and her feathers can definitely get into better shape.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Urge you to look at the thread "smoking safely around your birds" for Jazz's story. It will give you a sense of the difference that you could make in this bird's life.
barbara

OP
M

medspec71

Dec 27, 2010
Thank you all for your quick and knowledgeable responses. I appreciate your help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts