Sneezing or snuffing?

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Hi guys, and a happy nearly new year!
Pazu since we got him/her will occasionally sneeze? It's rare but normally it'll be a couple, and so far only on mine and my boyfriends shoulders near our hair. Sometimes its like he's snuffing air our though. Its not constant, his nose and eyes look clear, he's active and eating, but I don't know?
I wonder if because he dives into my hair it could be smell or a hair tickling his nose.
It doesn't worry me, not much at least but I just wondered.
Ive seen people ask similar things on here but this doesn't seem as bad.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I've been told it's normal for birds to sneeze on occasion. If there is any discharge or mucus it could be an infection, but if it's a dry sneeze and only occasionally it should be fine.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Only one sneeze has been damp (he sneezed on my cheek) but it was a bid one, he was confused by the noise he made. Nothing odd and no discharge, as a plus he hasn't had another one that big since.

drj130

Jul 25, 2014
Saint Petersburg, FL
Parrots
9 month old Green Cheek Conure
Pat sneezes after he's finished poking his brain with his nail. I keep getting scared that he's going to put a hole in his brain every time he does that.
Most times when he sneezes is after that, though sometimes he does it after he takes a bath. Pretty normal from what I've seen.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Thanks guys! Just puts me at ease, first pet bird ever and first pet in over 7years I think. But I just wanna make sure I'm not dismissing things I shouldn't be.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
They will "normally" sneeze after a shower or bath and those might be a bit damp because of the water running down their sinuses if they get water in their face.

Zilla does it a lot because the vet has me making sure to get her "soaked" and make sure the water gets in her face a lot so it will run down her sinuses, but vet did warn me not to freak out about her having wet sneezes after bathing.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
All our birds (including our GCC) sneeze on occasion, particularly if they've just bathed or if they've been doing some preening. And yes, if they sneeze in your face, it can be "wet" (ewwww!!). You get used to it...

Most Reactions

Latest posts