so bad i can almost taste it!!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I want an amazon so bad I can hardly stand it! I've convinced the boyfriend into adding another pet, but having quite an issue with finding the space for another large cage. We did some rearranging Saturday but still came up short. Have an idea if we move this and that there but have yet to try that arrangement. I've got my mind made up, however that ill make it happen. I just wanna find the perfect bird. Narrowed it down to a yellow nape, Panama, yellow crown, or dbl yellow head....wouldn't mind getting a mature bird as long as he/she is sweet and has a great disposition. Had my heart set on a male YN but he sold before I could get everything together : (

......just wanted to ramble and vent my frustration I suppose. If you made it this far thanks for listening!

clawson

Jan 1, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Blue and Gold and Camilla Macaws. Quaker Parrot.
I know how you feel. Amazons have eyes and personalities that seem to hypnotize me. I'm getting Macaws now, but a dbl yellow headed Amazon is in my future. If I'd have seen the Amazon first it would be the other way around. Best wishes to you.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
If you have the chance you should meet some red loreds or blue fronts, they seem to be a little more mellow than some of the other species, at least all of the ones I have met. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the perfect match for your family :)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Amazons are cool! If you want to know about Amazons, get in touch with "henpecked" on this forum. He's a breeder and rescuer of Amazons. A very nice guy.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Good luck in finding your new baby, if my bird experience turns out half as good as I think I am sure I will be making all kinds of plans for more cage space :)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Good luck in your search for an Amazon :) Im sure you will manage to find a space for your cage. I have a BF and a YC and both are adorable, although, totally different personalities.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I feel your pain. :( I found the most amazing bird the other day, I fell in love with her, but of course I don't have ANY room for another big cage. :'( Life can suck sometimes haha! I hope you do get to have your amazon one day~! Sooner rather then later :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
In order to accommodate Merlin, I had to cart a large, antique buffet out of my front room, lol! It was that or the loveseat. I do need places for humans, too.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
To make room for Kazi's huge cage I had to clean out about a third of the room I keep my business inventory in. My raw materials all got moved to the basement so Kazi could have his own room to sleep in. His play gym takes up just as much room in the living room too! Also the fridge is full of bits and pieces of various foods he likes so he gets variety at every meal.

We pretty much had to rearrange our house and lives for this bird, but he's totally worth it!

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
I'm all about using vertical space these days.

Kiwi the Panama Amazon arrived with a 40" x 36" double cage - he lives in the top half & actually, Roxynoodle's CAG Merlin used to live in the bottom half, before moving to Ohio. So we have a bottom half open (my husband looked at it, looked at me, and said, "No!" & I happen to agree with him). Beaker the Pionus or PaulE, the Yellow Crowned amazon, would fit easily & the floor-space is much less than 2 separate cages.

By the way - if you want a mellow personality, consider an adult parrot who doesn't have to go through the terrible teenage years of sexual maturity. And I personally have fallen in love with the Yellow Crown & Panama Amazons because they have the personality you seek.

The Yellow Napes, Blue Fronts & Double Yellow Heads are known in some quarters as "the hot three" for the males' sometimes quick tempers.

Also - there are several active yahoo groups for amazon owners. Some have very experienced amazon owners on them & you can learn alot.

Although I also 2nd whoever said you should PM henpecked - he is very knowledgable & generous with his time with folks considering amazons.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I agree you might like an amazon known as being "mellower". And nothing wrong with older ones as well, past the worst of their hormonal years. I love my new boy! He's very funny and sweet.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I'm all about using vertical space these days.

Kiwi the Panama Amazon arrived with a 40" x 36" double cage - he lives in the top half & actually, Roxynoodle's CAG Merlin used to live in the bottom half, before moving to Ohio. So we have a bottom half open (my husband looked at it, looked at me, and said, "No!" & I happen to agree with him). Beaker the Pionus or PaulE, the Yellow Crowned amazon, would fit easily & the floor-space is much less than 2 separate cages.

By the way - if you want a mellow personality, consider an adult parrot who doesn't have to go through the terrible teenage years of sexual maturity. And I personally have fallen in love with the Yellow Crown & Panama Amazons because they have the personality you seek.

The Yellow Napes, Blue Fronts & Double Yellow Heads are known in some quarters as "the hot three" for the males' sometimes quick tempers.

Also - there are several active yahoo groups for amazon owners. Some have very experienced amazon owners on them & you can learn alot.

Although I also 2nd whoever said you should PM henpecked - he is very knowledgable & generous with his time with folks considering amazons.

Blue Front is not in the "terrible three" Normaly BF is one of the easy Amazon regarding temperement

OP
MissyMe83

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Thanks for all the replies! Some of you do know my pain lol. Yeah I definitely want a mellower amazon whether it be the yellow crown or Panama or one of the other three that is older and past the hormonal temper tantrums. I like the idea of an older bird because of their lifespan as well. I don't like the idea of it out living me. Think ill get in touch w henpecked like some of you mentioned. Thanks again!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Don't forget about red loreds, I may be biased because we have two but they are the mellowest amazons I've ever dealt with. Granted, these are the only two RLA's I've worked with but I've cared for DYHAs, OWAs, YHAs, and BFAs, and it's a pretty striking difference. I would think that it was just a fluke but from what I've read on them it seems to be that they are just more relaxed by nature. Our's are a bonded, breeding(ish) pair and we can still feed them from our hands, get in their cage to give them food and water, etc. I've dealt with single, pet amazons that took ninja fast reflexes and some good planning just to change out their food bowls :20:

Lonnie

Oct 8, 2011
Ummmmm excuse me...BFA's are indeed one of the "hot three"!!! I have a RLA, and love him!!!!!! So if you find one of those be sure to check them out!!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've also always been told that BFs are one of the Hot 3. My YC is 28 and is very sweet. He was courting me a bit, and now he is in love with the new bird, but he isn't being awful at all. No screaming or biting or any of that. His former owner gave away a macaw to a breeder due to it's hormones, but kept Pete for this long so that let me know his hormonal issues weren't so bad.

And yes, with their long lifespan, I could only have an older one, too. Older birds can be quite a pleasure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts