So...I found this little girl...

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
20151031_173434_zpssm8baovc.jpg

So since I lost Raja from polyoma, I wasn't interested at all in adding another girl and "replacing" her. I've been worried most about Jack and making sure he stays healthy.

But I met this little girl when she was just a fuzzy little penguin without any coloring in her feathers. As soon as she sprouted her first red feather, I told the owner I wanted her.

She's at a small bird store in my town and the owner has been really wonderful to me since Raja died.

I talked to my vet before I said yes, and the vet thinks I'm safe as far as Jack goes. I'm still extremely nervous about bringing her home. I'm so afraid it's lingering somewhere that I'm not thinking of, or that Jack might expel it in his feces at some point even though he's tested negative.

But here she is and she doesn't have a name yet. She's super spunky having already flown up and out of her baby aquarium and flying wherever she pleases until she was finally put in a cage for her safety, haha. I can also touch her head which excites me because that's a big no go with Jack.

Happy Halloween everyone! :43:

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Liz, she's beautiful!

I think it's wonderful that you'll be welcoming her into your family. I know she'll have a great forever home with you.

How old is she? Is she fully weaned, yet? Any name ideas?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
She's beautiful, and will be a wonderful companion for you and Jack!

Happy Halloween!! :43:

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Aw, thanks guys! I thought I might get a negative response, like, you irresponsible dimwit!

She's 4 months old and she's not weaned yet, but I visit her often which is something I wasn't able to do with Jack and Raja (red flag #187). I worked 10 hours today, but had to stop and see her before going home. The owner said she refused syringe "lunch" today and was happily eating her pellet mix. I wish I could have her weaned on to a bunch of veggies, but it looks like I'll have to transition her.

I'm wondering how Jack will respond to her. My kids think she's Raja finally returning from the doctor, doh. So we had to have that talk.

I have no idea what to name her! I've been calling her little chicken, lol.

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Anansi, you're just in NJ so you might know Bird Mania here in PA? Debbie is the new owner and just the sweetest person.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
She's beautiful! Can't you have birds vaccinated against Polyoma? Maybe that would be wise since you lost a bird to that. Congrats on your new baby.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Anansi, you're just in NJ so you might know Bird Mania here in PA? Debbie is the new owner and just the sweetest person.
No, actually. But I wish I did. Quality bird stores with caring owners are an increasingly rare commodity. What city in PA?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Aw, thanks guys! I thought I might get a negative response, like, you irresponsible dimwit!

Not at all. It's been months now since you lost Raja to polyoma. Jack shows no sign of sickness or infection, and further, has tested negative for polyoma himself.

Oowl's suggestion is a sound one, though. If there is a vaccine for polyoma, giving it to your baby ekkie would put your mind at ease.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Congratulations, Liz! She's gorgeous! I'm really happy to see your new addition!

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
No, actually. But I wish I did. Quality bird stores with caring owners are an increasingly rare commodity. What city in PA?

Allentown. It's literally a mom and pop business. I like that everything is conspicuous and honest.

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
I'll have to read more about the vaccine. I thought I read there was some controversy as to its effectiveness. I'll put a call in to my vet too.

Last edited:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I went to school at Lehigh. Lived there for 3.5 years. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh Liz, your girl is STUNNINGLY beautiful!!!! I am so happy to 'see' you, and even happier to see you've fallen in love with another redhead. :D (Well, ok, you fell in love before she sported her big girl feathers ;))

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Allentown. It's literally a mom and pop business. I like that everything is conspicuous and honest.

Nice! If I get the chance, I'll check it out on the strength of that characteristic alone.
I'll have to read more about the vaccine. I thought I read there was some controversy as to its effectiveness. I'll put a call in to my vet too.
Good idea. I don't know much about the vaccine, myself. I hope that it's a viable option, though. I'd love to hear what your vet has to say.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Congrats! She's gorgeous. I can't wait to see how things progress especially when she gets to go home.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I went to school at Lehigh. Lived there for 3.5 years. :)

Great school! I went to Cedar Crest, its sister school.

I had a scholarship to cedar crest and of course that was my dad's push for me... But ultimately I didn't want an all women's school and wanted larger. Hindsight, maybe the wrong decision. Lol
But I love that area.

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
That's great news, I'm sure you and Jack will share lots of special moments with this new girl.

Looking forward to more pictures when you get her home.

Cheers,

Camo

Most Reactions