So, I had to do it... :(

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
It finally came to me having to clip Cody. :( I'm not sure if you guys remember my thread about him harassing my brother (who is really scared of him), but he has also started flying to my sister and charging/trying to bite her in the face within the past few weeks. He also flew to my mom a few nights ago and really went after her (puffed up/screeching and all :( ). He occasionally did these things before, but I was able to manage it. But it got to the point where I couldn't trust having him around anyone because it was becoming much more frequent, and going after people's faces in inexcusable. He also tried going after my grandfather as well a few weeks ago.

Even though I did this for his and my family's safety, I'm feeling so guilty. :( He keeps trying to fly and it's so heartbreaking. Not quite sure why I started this thread, guess I just needed to talk about it. I really almost cried when it was done, as I had to hold him when we did it (his breeder and I) and he kept screaming the whole time. I feel like such a horrible bird mommy. :( He's very forgiving though, because he's been cuddling up to me and accepting pets/treats from me. I just feel horrible.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
awww, its always so hard sometimes doing the right thing, hey? I had to give my green cheek medication for the past two weeks when he was ill (4 different types, 3 in the morning and then one a half hour after those and then one again at night with the repeat of a med 1/2 hour after) and I just felt awful doing it even though it was for his better health. Sorry that the wing clip was an upsetting experience but glad he's snuggling with you and being OK. He'll adjust quickly and then you will just have a pet that's a better fit for your family and still the same fun loving guy you always had! :)

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Awww bless!

Don't worry! It was for human safety and also Cody's safety! If he was being that unmanagable there's a big chance he could have hurt himself!

I remember the thread and your concerns. Don't feel bad! It needn't be forever! Take the opportunity to train him in all the things you were cautious about and by the time his wings grow back he will be wiser and older :D

Please, don't think badly of yourself. I've already said many times that if Cal ever started to get dangerous I'd clip her.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
You did the right thing...so don't worry! :) You can always let the flights grow back later, when he calms down.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I can only imagine what a difficult decision this was. This sort of thing is part of being a parront and a parent. This will give you time to work with Cody and decrease is aggression issues.

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Thank you so much everyone! I knew you guys would make me feel a little better. :) I will definitely take the time now to work with some of his issues, as I definitely plan on letting him grow back out! It's so weird though, because he's so nice with me! I get to see the nice, sweet Cody, and if it was just me living on my own it would have been fine. But with my other family members, my sister especially (who he used to love!), he's been really hurting. :( The family telling me Cody's a mean bird all the time doesn't help much either. It's really sad, no one really likes him anymore except me. Well, my mom likes him and will share food with him, but she's afraid of him (he bit her hand REALLY hard one time about a year ago and she still won't handle him). But the other two don't like him anymore! :(

I'm hoping that this clipping does turn out for the best and maybe I can encourage my mom to become a little more involved and my sister can maybe work with him more now that he can't get to her face so fast. This will also give him much more time out because it was getting to the point that I couldn't take him out around the family! Now I don't have to worry.

awww, its always so hard sometimes doing the right thing, hey? I had to give my green cheek medication for the past two weeks when he was ill (4 different types, 3 in the morning and then one a half hour after those and then one again at night with the repeat of a med 1/2 hour after) and I just felt awful doing it even though it was for his better health. Sorry that the wing clip was an upsetting experience but glad he's snuggling with you and being OK. He'll adjust quickly and then you will just have a pet that's a better fit for your family and still the same fun loving guy you always had! :)
Aww, I'm sorry about your little guy being sick! :( Cody was sick last year and I got to give him antibiotics once a day. Even THAT was terrible, I can't imagine having to give all of those meds! I'm glad your baby is better now! Now the two of you can chill out and rest! :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I agree if it needs to be done for the safety of everyone involved I don't see why not. I have to clip my breeders sometimes because the males have been known to hunt the hens until they are almost dead. Conures seem to be bad for that.

He is only protecting his little flock (YOU) LOL. Yes he will be more affectionate towards you now because he has to depend on you to get around. Lets hope Cody is more loving towards the rest of the family as well.

Most Reactions