So. Much. Chewing!

sietseld

May 29, 2019
Ohio
Parrots
Mia - peach faced lovebird
Chili - pineapple green cheek conure
Hi everyone! I have a baby lovebird who is about 13 weeks old right now. All of my googling tells me they do chew a lot in general, but I am wondering if it ever gets less excessive as they get older? (Much like my human baby puts everything in his mouth all the time but they stop that eventually). Every time I take her out to handle her (several times a day) or let her sit on my shoulder, ALL she does is chew on me or my clothes. She has lots of toys to chew in her cage as well, she does a good job of shredding everything made out of wood and paper so I don't think it is that she has nothing else to chew on. Does it ever get better?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It does depend on the individual bird and some are more into chewing than others. Sounds like yours loves chewing and needs as much chewing material as she can get! I would continue to offer things for her to chew in her cage (and outside the cage like on a play stand) and consider going shirt-less!

lol.... I would remove her from your shoulder if she's chewing you and place her somewhere she is allowed to chew up stuff. Even offering some cardboard on top of her cage or paper would be fine.

Lovebirds can be very big chewers....they'll even chew up paper and stuff it in their back feathers to nest with. You'll want to be careful and never offer her a nest or snuggle hut as she'd likely chew it up and ingest the soft material, which is a no-no! But my cockatiels love shredding up seagrass!

Most Reactions

Latest posts