Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Steven has been running for quite a while now, and began taking it seriously about 3 months ago.

He completed his first 21km run on Sunday last week.

Steven finished in 1 hour and 55 minutes, he achieved what he wanted to in the appropriate time. His knee was okay, walked when it hurt and ran when he could.

I am so proud of him, my hero STEVALIEKIE !!!!

His aim is to do the 42km run in a few months time THEN the Comrades Marathon (the most grueling one in the world) which is 89km. They have a 12 hour time period to finish it in.

I have began doing the 5km run's for 11 weeks in a row each Saturday morning. I am suffering from a groin injury at the moment, taking med's for it. Hopefully soon I will soon begin the 10km run then will eventually join him in the 21km run.

At the starting line with a friend

041_zpsa4734ddd.jpg

The start

030_zps565bc313.jpg

The finish

055_zpsbab397b5.jpg

Showing off their medals and deservingly so

059_zpsbabbb8ee.jpg

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hey, Antoinette! Is Steven your son? If so, (or even if not! Lol) please congratulate him for me!
As a former track sprinter, I know the dedication and grueling workouts necessary to prepare for those long distance races. (My coach used to force us sprinters to run the cross-country season as well for strength conditioning. I vividly remember wondering why anyone would do it voluntarily! Lol!) So as you said, he definitely earned the right to show off his medal!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hey, Antoinette! Is Steven your son? If so, (or even if not! Lol) please congratulate him for me!
As a former track sprinter, I know the dedication and grueling workouts necessary to prepare for those long distance races. (My coach used to force us sprinters to run the cross-country season as well for strength conditioning. I vividly remember wondering why anyone would do it voluntarily! Lol!) So as you said, he definitely earned the right to show off his medal!

Thanks Anansi

Steven is my youngest son aged 22 years old.

It is one heck of a dedication I agree.
The other day he clocked so many hours of training, he sure is very dedicated.

:grey:

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Way to go Steven!!! WOO-HOOOOO!!!! Many congrats, WHAT a run that was!! :D

Thanks Wendy !!!!

I swear I was sweating more than what he was, just worrying about him.

Imagine if one day I join him in the run and complete it, that would be an awesome moment.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Congratulations Steven!!!

Don't worry Antoinette, you'll be running along side him soon!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I don't blame you for feeling proud, that is quite and accomplishment, we are all proud of him. We can't wait to hear how he does on the 42K

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congratulations Steven!!!

Don't worry Antoinette, you'll be running along side him soon!

Thanks MickeysMom !!!!!

I have entered 3 5km runs on the weekend of of Mother's day

I will show Steven what Mother's are made of. LoL

One on the Saturday morning, the following one that night then the third one on the morning of Mother's day.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I don't blame you for feeling proud, that is quite and accomplishment, we are all proud of him. We can't wait to hear how he does on the 42K

Thanks Mike
I am still smiling from ear to ear :D

Steven would still like to do two more 21km runs then the 42km. He reckons he is warning up. :eek:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Yaaayyyy, Fantastic accomplishment!!! Certainly a reason to be very proud. Good luck to both of you in your upcoming events.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
WOW!!! Bravo Steven!!! [emoji122][emoji122]

You've got an amazing kid, Ant!! No wonder you're proud of him! [emoji4]

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Go Stevaliekie! Go Ant! You guys put me to shame with your physical fitness, but I sure am proud of you both! Good luck for Mothers' Day, Ant - and don't forget to tell us all about it afterward, will you? Please give Steven our best wishes for his next race too. Do Mishka and Ringo have any marathon plans??? (Just asking...) ;)

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Go Stevaliekie! Go Ant! You guys put me to shame with your physical fitness, but I sure am proud of you both! Good luck for Mothers' Day, Ant - and don't forget to tell us all about it afterward, will you? Please give Steven our best wishes for his next race too. Do Mishka and Ringo have any marathon plans??? (Just asking...) ;)

Thanks Trish

It's strange what started out as a dare has now in fact become a part of my life. I am far from being fit but getting there daily.

I wish I was as fit as Steven is, he is so lucky he trains during working hours, being a biokinetics has it's advantages.

As for Mishka his marathon is talking and I doubt that that will ever change.

Ringo's marathon is sleeping OMW can he sleep for hours on end.

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I did complete the Mother's day run, had so much fun.

Got a medal, (my first at age 51 LoL) and a lovely goodies bag filled with many great items for mothers.

Last week Steven did the 21km run for MTN charity for Cancer and I ran the 10km run.

Steven is such a fantastic coach, he told me exactly how to pace myself, and not to run too much in the begining, thus burning myself out.

I was a bit worried but excited never having run a 10km run and not training for it.

We worked out I should finish it in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

It was the most enjoyable run ever, so many people along the road encouraging us, how could we give up.

I ran the first 4km was feeling great and not tired at all. Was listening to my Nike navigation (gives you the time you are running and the pace etc) I knew I was within my time. I carried on running and walking until the last km.

It was specular when I entered the stadium, I running on my own, with a large group about 200 meters behind me. The spectators in the stadium were cheering me on, telling me to keep going. I am proud to say I finished it in 1 hour 27 minutes. 18 Minutes earlier that expected.

After receiving my medal and refreshments, I sat down and phone my other son Sean. He was shocked to hear that I had ran a 10km run, saying how could I do it before him.
I eventually managed to get up and went to the finishing line to watch Steven running in.

Low and behold who was standing there with his camera waiting for me to come running and take a picture was Steven.
I tapped him on the shoulder and said hi waiting for me?

Bless his beautiful soul wanting to capture that precious moment.

Steven finished the 21km run in 1 hour 45 minutes, he is a fantastic runner with great potential. I managed to 10km run in 1 hour and 27 minutes.

Just goes to show how fit he is....

On the weekend of June 29th Sean, Steven and myself will be running our first run as a family together, I CAN'T WAIT !!

Steven and myself after finishing a charity run.

10433936_10152055793687531_2401654269199025713_n_zpscb3283b9.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Awesome, Antoinette! And most impressive! That medal was quite well earned, and your sons have a lot to be proud of! Amazing time by Steven, as well! Looking forward to pics from your family run. (What's the distance on that one?) Good luck!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Awesome, Antoinette! And most impressive! That medal was quite well earned, and your sons have a lot to be proud of! Amazing time by Steven, as well! Looking forward to pics from your family run. (What's the distance on that one?) Good luck!

Thanks Ananasi

I was just so impressed that I finished without doing any training, even though it was only a 10km run.

The worst is it is freezing here in S.A. right now, when we did that run at the start line is was O degrees. But after running a while we did feel warmer.

This morning Steven went on a 21km run, I wanted to go but knew I would slow him down. I am petrified to run on my own here in the road, so I did a 5km cycle on my stationery bicycle.

Steven will do the 21km, Sean and I will run the 10km.

PS... This morning Mishka said to me "Mommy I want to go running"

I guess he listens to EVERYTHING WE SAY

Most Reactions

Latest posts