Solara is home!

Luciole

Feb 23, 2015
KY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
We picked Solara up today...right off the bat there are some issues. Her beak and claws are over grown and will need to be cut down seriously. I called the vet while we were driving home and they said to give her a week to calm down a little and bring her in...so that will be taken care of soon. She has turned my arm into a mass of bruises so far today. Pinched the snot out of me! The room she was in was full of birds and of course very noisy and she was very freaked out, so I got bit 5 times before we even got her in the carrier. She was in a good sized cage, but had only 1 perch and no toys. Right now she is trying to chew her tail feathers off as she is molting. She's really enjoyed being on the play stand I had ready for her, she has stretched and stretched. I think over all it has gone very well...I still got pinched a lot once we were home, but she let's me love on her, it's just stepping up where she pinches. I think she will catch on fairly quickly though. She is around 5 years old, so we will have lots of time with her. I'm relieved to have her with us finally!

20150225_171901_1.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Congratulations on bringing her home! She sure is eye candy! :D

Sorry to hear she was making minced meat of your flesh, or as you put it "she pinched the snot out of you", LOL...sorry, just sounds funny. :32:

Best of luck with her, and I'm looking forward to reading updates (with photos???) :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats! She pinched you at the place due to her not knowing you yet, if she's been around the other birds for awhile she should be fine. She will just need time to get adjusted. Don't expect her to do what you want her to do just yet. She needs a firm hand in training her! When we picked up Lola she was the same way and I had her trained in just a few days. But I've had prior macaw experience and other bird experience. Good luck!

OP
L

Luciole

Feb 23, 2015
KY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
She did awesome today...spent most of the day in my lap tearing up paper. Even shared space with my dog...she shared her home with dogs before, so she was not in the least bit interested in Summer.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Great to hear how fast she's settling in! She sounds like a great addition to your family

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Congrats :) I just recently got a greenwing and one thing I had to do with that exact playstand was change out the wood perches for the smaller pvc piping because Sailor decided to eat it right away. You cut it to length, add pvc caps on and put a screw right into the hole where the other one bolted on. Another thing that seems to be helping with the beak and attitude already is clicker training. I picked up this clik stik on ebay to start clicker training:
ClikStik.jpg_zpsth213lwe.jpg

and a training dvd from birdtricks.com and I can tell already it's working. I can get her to step out of her cage on her own because she follows the clicker for a treat. I can't express how much their training makes sense so far. The only thing I haven't agreed with is withholding food for half the day to use it as training incentive while you work with them. I can get the same results with treat food without taking her food away. My macaw arrived too thin for my liking anyway so I'm not about to take her food away. She will do anything for a nut in it's shell, a piece of shelled nut, or even a small piece of wood for chewing. Otherwise their advice has been sound and well received by my macaw. She's far more receptive to coming out of her cage on her own now that she's working for treats. She wants to be near me instead of trying to get away. It feels good to finally have some trust between us :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts