Some Friday the 13th bad luck

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
By a string of quite happenstance events, my family managed to set a kitchen fire today. And one of the towels we were burning was one of those weird, polyester shame-wow kind of towels... it left a big STINKING mess. Our neighbors were quite concerned.

As we were panicking about the fire and getting the smell out of the house, my dad was actually the hero that pointed out that this kind of fire can release a toxic compound called phosphorene. We woke up the bird from a dead sleep (seriously -- I had to rattle the cage a few times before she woke up... I was so scared the fumes had done her in) and moved her to the garage. For good measure, I also moved the 12 pound dog to the garage. She's really not all too much better than the bird.

Everyone but myself had some kind of reaction to the fumes. Headaches, migraines, burning sensation in the lungs, etc. It took us a few hours, but we managed to get it all out x___x the poor bird finally gets to go off to bed in my room. I put the fan and left the sliding door open just to be extra safe, but my dad who had the strongest reaction assured me the air was clear.

Oof. Not a way to spend a friday. Hope ya'lls was much safer and more entertaining. :gcc:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Oh jeez how scary!! Thank God everyone's OK. I get so scared that something's going to happen to my Yoda, sometimes I check on him in the middle of the night and wake him up just to make sure he's ok.

Wraith

Sep 20, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Ro the Green Cheek Conure
Anything like that is terrifying! I had my landlord leave a pot burning all night and awoke to smoke, no fire but the birds were the only thing reacting! I'm glad to hear that everyone is alright and I hope the birdies are okay! And the doggo friend as well!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Glad everyone is ok, especially the smallest family member with feathers! It is so scary when anything chemically-bad smelling is in the air around a bird, especially something potent enough for humans to react to!

I remember the odor when a plastic toy shook loose in the dishwasher and apparently fell on some kind of heating element and the acrid odor when I opened the door, less than 10' away from Kiwi's cage. Grabbed him so fast to get him to fresh air before the fumes got him it was like a cartoon puff of feathers left behind! Glad everything worked out ok for your family too after your mishap burning synthetic materials!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm glad your Friday The 13th event had a happy ending, that would be a super scary experience any day of the year. Your dad really is a hero, I'm glad he realized the immediate danger to the bird. Thanks for posting, this is a great reminder that our birds depend on us to keep them safe, especially during an emergency.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I'm thankful for a happy ending as well ! The bird was located at the furthest point away from the fire initially but as the fumes rise to the highest point, it became a not-so-good place for her x___x;

Kermit woke up today cranky about a lack of sleep, but otherwise alive and fiesty.

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
Yeesh! I glad you are all ok! I burnt a hole in my carpet one day when we were gone, didn't catch but dear GOD the SMELL. It got into everything! I feel for you!

Axel

Oct 9, 2017
Parrots
Doodle - Budgie
That's terrifying! Good thing everyone was okay in the end, including your little critters!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Wow I'm happy everyone is ok. Hero dad is a hero.....you know Christmas is coming up.......:gcc:

Most Reactions