Some mommy/Kiwi love

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well, Kiwi is a stubborn thing that wants nothing to do with physical affection and detests scritches, but that doesn't mean we don't still have a good bond! I know I've posted a lot of pics of my hubby and Kiwi, as my hubby isn't very "camera-inclined" so theres usually more of him than me due to that. But, I decided whilst out exercising Kiwi today, I'd put the camera on auto/continuous shoot and have my hubby play photographer

So, since Kiwi can't actually figure out REAL flight, we keep him strong and active by doing daily "assisted flights" around the house, and he *especially* loves "flying" outdoors. He hangs onto my hand for dear life and flaps just as furiously as a little bird can! This is one of my favorite bonding activities with him as he enjoys it so much:

DSC_5592_zps9059e207.jpg

DSC_5593_zps8a9c8182.jpg

DSC_5585_zpsa85c4aa0.jpg

Just look at how happy that bird is!

DSC_5594_zps42361fc8.jpg

And afterwards, kisses all around! It may look like he's about to rip my lip off, but in fact, he's just going in for a most excited thank you kiss while making joyful squeals and whistles

DSC_5587_zpsbeb4b354.jpg

DSC_5588_zps04a61ab7.jpg

Check out the eye!

DSC_5589_zpsbf04b5d5.jpg

And the tongue (Kiwi gives french kisses:rolleyes:)

DSC_5590_zps65a3da15.jpg

And the best for last- I can sneak a back kiss when he's real happy, but it's not his favorite thing to have happen...

DSC_5591_zpsb5b4b334.jpg

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Beautiful pics of Kiwi as usual. :)

He seems to be really enjoying the "flying" time outdoors.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
WOO HOO Look at him go !!!!! Looks like Im seeing a little affection to me :)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
He does love "flying" around, though he failed to grasp the concept when we tried to teach him to fly for real:(. When we first were able to handle him, he was so floppy and had no muscles:(. He could barely flap a few feet and couldn't hold himself upright while flapping his wings (he just tipped over). He's probably just as muscular as a flighted bird now because we do this with him all the time:) We can do laps around the deck or apartment before he's done! And it makes me so happy to see him act like a bird, even if he's not getting it 100% right. Kiwi gets an A for effort at least!

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Those are adorable! Iris doesn't that flapping too, even though she can fly. I think it's just a sort of interaction they like! I can't get kisses yet, but it's not been a month yet of course.

Kiwi really seems like he's come a huge way. Iris had a good home, just a sort of hands off one, so that's all I have to overcome. No bad stuff, just maybe a little lack of interaction and touching. I really commend you!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great pics, April! And you can really see how happy Kiwi is in these pics. Deliriously so! Hahaha!

And I also have to say that his feathers are in beautiful condition! That is a well-loved bird.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awesome pictures! And you look just as happy as Kiwi in those pictures, love it!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Kiwi looks so incredibly happy in those photos :) It's amazing how happy he is and how far he's come. You and your husband have done a wonderful job in giving Kiwi the best life ever, even if it doesn't involve lots of cuddles. I'm sure he couldn't ask for a better home :)

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
Wow those are some great action shots!! And may I say I am so envious of your yard!!! Thanks for sharing such an intimate momment with yourself and Kiwi. I love that you exercise him outside even though he can't fly!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Awesome pics! Kiwi is such a gorgeous 'zon. I love your hair, btw.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I wish it was easier for me to get videos posted (iMovie hates me:(), but the noises he makes when he does his "flying" is adorable and hilarious. Just the noises of pure joy and happiness:D And it does make me happy that he trusts me enough to flap his wings while I'm holding him. It's actually a really amazing thing to experience:) He does love the outdoors too! Since he can't fly, we've always brought him outdoors and allowed him to have that enjoyment and freedom instead:) He likes hanging out and enjoying the view in the sun. Kiwi is a very spoiled and loved bird. We try to include him in as many things as we can and give him a happy life.

Thank about my hair too! I've been growing it out for over 10 years now (after a very traumatic haircut in high school:eek:). I just trim it every once in a while to keep the ends nice:)

Last edited:

Most Reactions