someone pleeeease help :[

kimmy.

Oct 31, 2010
australia
Parrots
4 ringnecks, 1 corella!
okey so i have 2 ringnecks, naboo, about 5 months old, he isn't tame then theres yuffie, she's about 9-10 weeks old and she is very tame, i hand raised her!

for the past week she wont step up, she hates being held and when i pull her out to feed her she just wants to get back into her cage! is this just a stage or is she seeing that naboo isn't tame and she's copying him? they are in the same cage, she follows him everywhere but she is very nasty towards him. i had to put 2 separate seed bowls in the cage because she wouldn't let him anywhere near the 1.naboo will not let you hold him and be bites but when i first got yuffie home he became heaps better, he took fruit out of my hand and let me touch he's tail, today i gave them a shower and he actually stepped onto my arm :D i was sooo happy but then he wouldn't come anywhere near me. i gave them some pear after their shower, she wouldn't even take it from me. the one thing she DOESNT do is bite, thank god ohhhh and if i hold her and take her into another room where she cant see the cage or naboo she's fine!!!

can anyone help PLEEEEASSSEEEE? i need some advice :[ i don't know what to do.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Kimmy I would keep them in separate cages for a while. As you mentioned if taken into another room she is fine. Perhaps keep the cages in the same room but quite a distance apart. Let them observe each other from a distance. Move the cages nearer each day.
As for the biting eina........ maybe she is just trying to express herself.
Hope this is helpful.
Keep us updated

OP
K

kimmy.

Oct 31, 2010
australia
Parrots
4 ringnecks, 1 corella!
yeyuh, do you think i did the wrong thing by putting a tame bird in with a feral bird? eekkk i don't have another cage lol i think she's just starting to go through bluffing with the biting thing, when she was biting i didn't pull away and i showed her no reactions so she stopped lol my partner is a bit scared of her biting him but im like nnooooooo you gotta just ignore it!! i think i might get another cage for her, thanks for the advice and yes i will :]

i pulled her out to feed her an hour ago and she hoped straight on which is good. i'll just have to keep working on it!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
You should definitely put them in separate cages. Just be very patient with her and try not to get too discouraged. My sun conure was hand raised and at 10 weeks he wouldn't step up but it was because he didn't know how. I just worked with him and he caught on pretty quick. It took about 2 weeks I think before he would step up every time I wanted him to.

OP
K

kimmy.

Oct 31, 2010
australia
Parrots
4 ringnecks, 1 corella!
i would move her into a separate cage but i don't have one atm! today i moved her into another room for about an hour and she was fine just sitting with me, she even fell asleep on me! but then when i took her back to the cage she turned lol she's been bitting me even more today, its not hard but i don't want her to start doing that!

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
I definitely think the best advice is to simply get another cage as SOON as possible. From your posts I think it is honestly the only solution. Good luck!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Please keep them apart, even if you do not have another cage at this moment.
It sounds like they are going to attack one another, something which must be avoided completely. Until you are able to get another cage, perhaps using a big box, try modifying it somehow. Cut out little holes, (where the bird can look out) and sufficient air is available. Close it from the outside with mesh or something, then bird will not be able to get out.

OP
K

kimmy.

Oct 31, 2010
australia
Parrots
4 ringnecks, 1 corella!
the birds are inlove with each other, she only gets aggressive with him when he tries to eat out of the same bowl (i had to get separate seed dishes) or when she's sleeping and he walks past her otherwise they are fine with each other! BUTTT i have taken your advice and i've got another cage on its way, hopefully here tomorrow or the next day!

when i move her into a separate cage will she get stressed and angry because she's not with him or will she be fine??

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It sounds like the other bird need his own space. Where two birds are together, if one is very possessive of his feeding bowls, that will probably never change. Birds are so unpredictable, you never know if they will turn against each other at any point.
I would rather let the bird be angry with me, if anything happened to either one, how would you feel.
When they are in separated cages, as I mentioned previously keep the cages in the same room but quite a distance apart. Let them observe each other from a distance. Move the cages nearer each day. They might just sit on top of the cages, for the first few days, observing each other, and hopefully become friends. Only time will tell, whether they would be able to be in the same cage together.
Keep us updated

OP
K

kimmy.

Oct 31, 2010
australia
Parrots
4 ringnecks, 1 corella!
when i put her into the other cage should i let them out like normal or not? i know that if i let her out she'll just fly to the other cage.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am no expert, never had two birds.
Hopefully other members with more knowledge will assist.
If she flies to the other cage continuously, keep the other cage door closed, so she will not be able to go inside it.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Hello
Well, Ant, I am weighing in as a " two birds/ same cage " parront but I am going to say what the rest of you have already said. Togetherness isn't working here. I. really think it depends on consistency, personality (human and fids) and luck as to whether two birds can share a cage at all, much less share it and still be amenable to their human and willing to function as either part of a pair or as individual birds. We have three cages in the house for our conures but rarely are they in separate cages. That said they are often on separate people's shoulders perhaps in different rooms. They play together and separately, happily share treats, pellets and scritches.They are opposite sex but not sexual with each other. Sam is especially close to me and my husband and may posture some with our kids and others. Gem is delighted to go with anything and anyone at anytime. Sooooo while I do have a "two in one" situation, I don't think I am much help here. I would look for a second cage pronto before situation deteriorates.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
It sounds like she does better when she is in a different room. I suggest keeping them in the same room but when you want to take her out to play go to a different room so she doesn't fly to the other one's cage. I think right now she will only try to fly to it because she knows that as "home". Once she realizes she has her own cage, she will soon recognize that is where her new "house" is.

OP
K

kimmy.

Oct 31, 2010
australia
Parrots
4 ringnecks, 1 corella!
thats exactly right erin!!! i have a new cage coming either today or tomorrow! she was great this morning, i took her into our bedroom and she was great. i cant wait to get this new cage, hopefully she will go back to normal. i think she's trying to wean herself too which is good!! when she's in a different room she has her own lil personality its soooooo cute, she's real cheeky!

thanks guys :]

Most Reactions

Latest posts