somewhat new blue and gold owner

tjs_bluengold

Dec 21, 2013
I'll start by saying this forum is great but after hours of searching I can't find anything related to an issue I'm having. My blue and gold is almost 30 year old. She was my fathers until he passed 2 years ago and has lived with me since. I never lived with my father but did visit most weekends so Phi-Phi (the bird) is not a stranger. I'll get to the issue now.....
3 days ago she started acting differently than normal. She's keeping her head feathers fluffed most of the time and hasn't talked (or made any noises). She's still eating, drinking and pooping as normal but she doesn't seem herself. The last time she laid eggs was 2011 and over a 5 month period laid 27 eggs but she hasn't laid since. She did go through a weird phase about 2 months ago where she would stick her butt against the cage for me to scratch while her head was upside down in her food bowl. She's always been aggressive toward strangers and my father was the only person able to handle her. She will get on my hand but only when she's NOT in her cage. I've had the top of her cage open for almost 8 hours and where she normally would come out and play on top of her cage she seems to only come out for a treat then goes right back to her perch. Normally once she's out of her cage she only goes back in when SHE'S ready. She also has been sleeping more than normal. I've never seen her take mid-day naps until the odd behavior started a few days ago. Is this behavior change normal for bird at this age or should I try something else.....the closest bird vet is almost 200 miles away and none of the local vets will even let me bring her in the front door.....kinda on my own here

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If there's something wrong with her, only a vet can tell you as we can only speculate. They shouldn't sleep as much just because they want to lay eggs. When they sleep extra is usually when they don't feel good.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Where are you located? Maybe a member close to your location can recommend a vet who can help you.

OP
T

tjs_bluengold

Dec 21, 2013
close to Cumberland MD......I found a local I was told is the local bird expert (but not a vet) and she recommended I take her back to Baltimore and see a bird vet....not really something that can happen until maybe Monday unless I can find an emergency vet although I'm not sure this classifies as an emergency.....she did come out to the top of the cage about an hour ago and walked around for a few minutes but then went to her food bowl then back to her perch.....she's definitely not feeling well but aside from her activity change I see no other symptoms....breathing is normal and like I said before, eating, drinking and pooping all normal. She did relax the feathers on her head when she got on top the cage but now napping again has them ruffled.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When they start to show symptoms is when they really don't feel good. Your risking it by waiting til Monday. But I would highly suggest you to put a heat lamp on him for the time being to keep him warm if you absolutely can't go to the vet until Monday.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
When they start to show symptoms is when they really don't feel good. Your risking it by waiting til Monday. But I would highly suggest you to put a heat lamp on him for the time being to keep him warm if you absolutely can't go to the vet until Monday.

This! Birds hide their illness until they are too sick to hide it because in the wild a sick bird is open for predation.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
This bird needs to see an Avian Vet NOW, not Monday, not sitting there writing this yesterday, this constitutes an emergency and this birds life can depend on the care it gets when it is sick like this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts