Soooo new job and other stuff

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
As I posted a few months ago, I've been trying to figure out what to do with myself for a new career. I've been training race horses for ten years and the industry just isn't what I want it to be. And quite frankly, billing someone for services and products already paid for, and them taking their sweet time to pay that bill is just wearing on me emotionally. I'm currently owed $20k and heard from their lawyer last week that I will be paid but who knows exactly when. Meanwhile I'm STILL feeding their 5 horses. Do you know how much that adds up?!?!?

Anyways. I started a new job!! I am a teAchers assistant at a school for autism. I am normally in the classroom but we had a holiday yesterday and today no school due to weather.
So I am in the residences just watching the kids. I made lunch today- grilled cheese and salad. Being paid to sit around in their house... Can't wait for school tomorrow lol.

I love this job.
The kids in my class are the oldest in the school and they're awesome. 3 are non verbal, one is working on her speech and mobility, and the other two are the cutest sweetest kids. We took the 3 higher functioning to volunteer for meals on wheels Friday and it was so much fun. One of the boys is a gentle giant. He saw a cat on the porch and started asking the lady about her cats. Then she said she had 9 cats. He said "so you're the cat lady?!?!"

I honestly couldn't stop laughing. These kids are so special. I'm in the residence of the girl in my class.
This job is full time, benefits, with education reimbursement so I can finish my degree!

On a sad note.. A friend I went to college with (he is an engineer) and dated about 5 years ago had a birthday on wed.
I reached out to him... He immediately started up a conversation.
We went to dinner and talked about life. I admitted something very personal, sad, and upsetting that I went through in October. He then admitted he's been struggling with alcoholism and in and out of rehab 3 times. He's lost his job. So the next day I checked in.
He wasn't answering his phone.
Finally called me back late after I got out of the restaurant (I'm still working there too)... He was slurring his words. I drank a lot with him in college and he NEVER slurred. He said his mom was there with him so I asked to speak to her. It was so upsetting to hear from her what she is going through with her son, my friend.
Now for two days I haven't heard from him. It's heartbreaking. I've never dealt with addiction like this.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
SO glad you love your new job. One of the girls here at work. Her so has Autism. Such a wonderful boy. High functioning but can be a handful at times. Much respect.

As far as the addiction. My Dad had a drinking issue. Sad thing to watch .

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've known two back in my College that quite litereally couldn't stop once they started... and couldn't control their behavior either when they drank. They were not pleasant drunks. And they were dangerous to both themselves and everyone else.

One of my roommates was like that. We had to keep taking his keys away from him and hiding them. Hide sharp objects. One time he drove home ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD ON PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY... DON'T KNOW HOW HE DIDN'T MANAGE TO KILL HIMSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE THAT NIGHT! Another time, on the 4th of July we caught him trying to stuff an M80 into a coke bottle, in a crowded street - with a bunch of little kids around. DON'T KNOW WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HIM, BUT WE DID EVENTUALLY END UP HAVING TO KICK HIM OUT. NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN AFTER THAT. DON'T KNOW IF HE EVER GOT HELP.

Some folks just can't handle it, and even one is one too many. Unfortunately, you can't help them until they actually decide they want help. They just drag you down with them. I've always had a fairly high tolerance, and never liked being "out of control" like that, especially in public. (I find other ways to embarrass myself in public! :p )

I've known quite a few who were on the cusp between use and abuse... that tended to be more "situational" than true addiiction.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
One of the staff members niece is on the spectrum. It must be hard as a mother to watch the child you raised deal with autism.

My fathers father died before I was born of liver disease.
So my dad's side is very careful about their predisposition to addiction. My moms side has no issue and generally just hard working non drinkers/non users of even advil! Lol

I hope my friend reaches out to me as I'm willing to help his mother in any way I can. He clearly hasn't hit rock bottom yet. His mother told me her rock bottom would have been long ago if she was him.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I think this is meant for me?
Of course I have experience. It has just been awhile. My degree was meant to be for teaching. This is a VERY good school they wouldn't have hired me and given the opportunities to me if I wasn't qualified. They also provide much of the training.
My mother has been in education for 25 years. 7 of the last years she's been director of a program in which all but one of her children are on the spectrum. Some of this can't be taught and is instinct and how to deal with these children. The training they provide expands on it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations on the new job! What you do takes tremendous dedication and love for children in a difficult position.

My sister works with Autistic children in their homes. Most are by definition only modestly functioning at best, though one is about to be released to a public school. I really admire the ability to work with these kids.

Alcoholism.... such a sad and debilitating illness. My step-mother and her son were alcoholics; no good came from their trials. My dad became her prolific "drinking buddy" but dropped down to 1 drink/day when she passed. Many in my profession are heavy situational drinkers, never ceases to amaze me how driven they are to drink right up to the legal limit prior to returning to work. I hope your friend is able to avail himself to the many assistance programs, but one has to be motivated and dedicated to tame the tiger.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I would have loved to seen your face when he called her cat lady lol

ALL of us were dying. I quickly said come on let's let her get to her day. When we got back to the van the 3rd staff member said did he ask what I think he did?!?!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My drug of choice has always been adrenalyn...

The other stuff I can pretty much take it or leave it.

But give me a chance for a really good STUPIDITY high?! That's one I have very little willpower with, and have a difficult time stopping once I start...

And when the inevitable who can out-stupid the other guy competition starts... yeah... I pretty much end up in the middle of it. I don't always win it, but I'm usually in the middle of it.

UNLESS OF COURSE, YOU COUNT PARROT ADDICTION... THAT I'VE GOT IN SPADES!

IT'S IN REMISSION AT THE MOMENT... TEMPORARILY UNDER CONTROL... ONE DAY AT A TIME... REMEMBER THE MANTRA: KNOW YOUR LIMITS. ONE MORE WOULD BE ONE TOO MANY...

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations on your new job! They could not have picked a better person:)
I am also so sorry about your friend. Dealing with addiction is so incredibly hard. I hope he decides to get help, that is the hardest part.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think this is meant for me?
Of course I have experience. It has just been awhile. My degree was meant to be for teaching. This is a VERY good school they wouldn't have hired me and given the opportunities to me if I wasn't qualified. They also provide much of the training.
My mother has been in education for 25 years. 7 of the last years she's been director of a program in which all but one of her children are on the spectrum. Some of this can't be taught and is instinct and how to deal with these children. The training they provide expands on it.

The person you were answering was a 'little' troll, and has been taken care of. ;)

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Is that why the quote wasn't showing up? Lol.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
And pardon my manners. UGH!

MANY congrats on your new job!!!! Feel free to kick me for not saying it much sooner. :)

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Congratulations on your new job!
Oh I SO hear you!
I work with gifted and 2E children - all verbal, incredible individuals with a slightly different take on society, with similar sensory patterns and responses to those on the ASD scale. Finishing off my degree while looking after a wee one a couple of days a week, and keeping our own family ticking. It's very rewarding, training is important, and instincts are everything.

One of the children in my care has a father I knew very well, an amazing bloke. Some things went wrong for him and he turned to drinking as a hideaway. Long story short, he become erratic and violent, has no access to his kids and his ex wife has to slowly rebuild her life. This family and mine have been close friends for yonks....it hurts. :(

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I would have loved to seen your face when he called her cat lady lol

ALL of us were dying. I quickly said come on let's let her get to her day. When we got back to the van the 3rd staff member said did he ask what I think he did?!?!

I've actually been on the receiving end of that one - SO YOU'RE LIKE THE CAT LADY - ONLY WITH BIRDS?!

Yeah. It was funny... for everyone else... that one kinda stung a bit.

Of course, it's different when an autistic child says it, in the context of a more innocent comment... as opposed to someone scoring a direct hit from a deliberate rip.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
And pardon my manners. UGH!

MANY congrats on your new job!!!! Feel free to kick me for not saying it much sooner. :)

Nah... I don't mind! And thanks!!!!
It's been an interesting day for all you mods today lol.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Pardon my manners too!!! Sheesh!!

Congratulations on your new job!!! It's a nice feeling when you have something so fulfilling, isn't it?? I hope you thoroughly enjoy the kids~ they sound amazing!

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
I am so happy you like your new career! Yes, it is so much more than a job. I started 20 years ago with developmentally delayed children and eventually adults, many with autism or other form of DD. I have never looked back and find joy in my job everyday. And yes, heart is the most important thing. I have had many well trained staff and some with not as much and it is a heart that gets the job done right. Welcome to the field...I just knew I liked you!

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Congratulations on your new job!
Oh I SO hear you!
I work with gifted and 2E children - all verbal, incredible individuals with a slightly different take on society, with similar sensory patterns and responses to those on the ASD scale. Finishing off my degree while looking after a wee one a couple of days a week, and keeping our own family ticking. It's very rewarding, training is important, and instincts are everything.

One of the children in my care has a father I knew very well, an amazing bloke. Some things went wrong for him and he turned to drinking as a hideaway. Long story short, he become erratic and violent, has no access to his kids and his ex wife has to slowly rebuild her life. This family and mine have been close friends for yonks....it hurts. :(

Ok YOU must be exhausted. I have been getting up at 6, taking care of the horses, working at the school, working at the restaurant, going home, taking care of the horses again, and going to bed. There are two days my birds only get an hour in the am with me. The other days they get am and afternoon and the weekend is blissful lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts