Soundproofing

nailsrglue

Dec 3, 2007
Media
I am in the process of getting a baby green cheek conure in a few months.
As you all know conures can be quite loud and I live in an apartment.
I dont think the neighbors on either side or back of me will have sound issues but the neighbors upstairs im almost positive will hear the bird scream. I want to get some sound absorbing materials to put on my ceiling and walls to cut down on noise pollution so i dont get complaints.
I want to know the best products I can get, where to get them, and just how much soundproofing i need to cut down my birds noise.
I am in college, and have a very limited budget so I'd prefer products that are not outragiously priced. I'm already spending over $800 on the bird and its accomodations.
I cannot do any kind of remodelling on the apartment, so ill need products i can just nail to the walls.

Can anybody help me?

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Yes, I can help you. I don't think you will like this, but here it is. I am getting the impression that this really isn't the best time in your life to add another bird. If you have any doubts about the noise issue you shouldn't consider the bird because if you do get complaints you will be having to deal with rehoming again. What's life after college look like? Maybe you should consider waiting till after you graduate and have a more stable enviroment to add such a time consuming pet. I know I am waiting the 4 years to add more to my flock. If you want another bird why not get a budgie to keep the linnie company - they really are neat birds. Consider a bird where you won't have to worry about noise at all if it concerns you. Also you mentioned you were spending over 800 dollars! Where do you live? I know a green cheek here is 140 and a decent sized cage 100. I'm not trying to discourage you from parrot ownership, but I really think you should wait on the conure till you have a more stable place and a yard for that cat and dog.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
I moved in with this guy a long time ago and he hired a crew to make the bird room soundproof to accommodate them. The walls were made of some kind of soundproofing material. I don't know what it was but I know it was the good stuff and more expensive than normal drywall. This was built into the room, nothing was nailed over anything else so there were no holes or any places for noise to escape.
We could hear them clear as a bell throughout the entire house, the soundproofing really didn't help at all.
I don't think there is anything you can just nail or hang that will help with noise.. if there was I'd have it because my Macaw is LOUD :D
Sorry but I have to agree.. if you think your neighbors can't handle it maybe you should wait until you can move to a place that can deal with the bird. If they complain and you have to get rid of the baby, it would be painful for both of you. :( Sorry!!

OP
N

nailsrglue

Dec 3, 2007
Media
ok I know you cannot fully soundproof anything, but I read on several websites that you can use panels or sheets specifically made to cut the sound in half. That is what I want. I know you cannot get rid of the noise, I do not really mind the noise and tend to tune it out. I dont think the neighbors will complain if I cut the calls down a bit. And besides> I dont have a macaw... Its a green cheek conure and they are not that loud to begin with.
Anyways I think I found a product that suits my needs from a very helpful website. Its like a blanket that you hang on the walls and ceilings that absorbs sound by up to 60% and made with enviromentally friendly materials.

OP
N

nailsrglue

Dec 3, 2007
Media
$800 is alittle exaggerated, but I am getting a mutation for about $400 from a very good breeder. I am getting a nice cage for about $150 with a playstand. I am gonna get it lots of toys so I can cycle them out every month. I am getting the bird the best diet I can. I am factoring the soundproofing material into the cost as well($40-80).
I have done my research and a green cheek is what I want. I do not like budgies because the ones I owned as a child were very mean and unsocial. They dont like to be cuddled and are not as smart as a conure. And you can find budgies at every petstore. My linnie does not get along with other birds, so I am not looking for a playmate for him. He just chases other birds away (even female linnies). He's quite happy being by himself in his huge cage. He will be next to my new bird when it moves in and can chat with it if he gets lonely.
Although I am going to college, I am not working very often and will have lots of time to spend with my new bird. When I am away, my boyfriend will always be there and he loves birds just as much as I do and will socialize with it whenever he can. It will be many years before we have kids or anything, and after college I will probably be away from the home just as much as I am now.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
I try to tune the noise out as well, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When they run over to you, stand on your chest, and scream 'hi ma' to wake you up, they are just impossible to ignore! :)
All parrots have the potential to be loud, my blue crowned conure was extremely noisy. I had a cockatoo that was extremely quiet. I really think in the long run, it's safer to bet on them being loud.
I don't have experience with the item you are describing but I just kind of doubt it would work since the stuff I used didn't. Hopefully it does, good luck to you.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
only thing I would add is toys should be rotated closer to every week they love playing and will get bored very easily. They don't have to be nerw toys each time or every toy but something should change in the cage frequently.

Most Reactions