Species Breeding

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I've always wondered, is it possible, under the laws of genetics, to breed parrots that are different but same species, and have them rear young. I don't mean like a macaw with an African grey (As much as I would like to see that). But maybe something like a macaw with mini macaw. Some I've always wondered were:

-Different conures breeding (ex: Sun Conure w/Green Cheek)
-Different cockatoos (ex: Citron Crested w/Triton)
-Macaw with mini macaw (B&G w/Severe Mini)
-Cockatiel and Parakeet (They are both from the same ancestor, so could they breed?)
-CAG w/TAG
-Different colored Senegals

Because if it was possible, we might get some fascinating combinations and other colors.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Definately - Major Mitchell X Galahs are not uncommon here, Ecky Hybreds of the different subspecies - mostly due to the closeness in looks of the sub-species & inexperienced breeders. There was even a Galah X Cockateil bred here in Oz - not purposely, they were sharing an avairy. Whether the young can reproduce is a different story, I know the Eckys can but unsure about the others

I guess the big issue that arises is keeping gene-pools pure

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Just like wing clipping, hybrid breeding is a hot topic. Sometimes accidents do happen and sometimes bird species are mixed and bred on purpose. Some breeders are looking for personality traits of each bird and sometimes it is a color issue. Here is an excellent link with pics. If you click on each picture it will tell you the two species that were bred. I always try and guess before I look. LOL!
Hybrid Parrots - a set on Flickr

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Wow, on the link you gave me, there's a macaw/conure hybrid. So with that, could it be possible to have different species mutations then? Like an CAG with a macaw, or cockatiel with a conure, or cockatiel with parakeet?

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yeah, I don't want to make it a bad thing, but if it was possible, imagine some new species and colors we'd get.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
No, mini-macaws can breed with conures because they are closely related. So much so that some people (me included) think that they should be reclassified. But you can't breed, say, a CAG with an ekkie.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Personally, if it can happen in nature...go for it. If the 2 species would have no chance in nature to ever get together, either due to geography or temperment, I think it's a bad idea. But that's just my opinion.

Most cross species hybridization results in a beautiful animal, but one with severe genetic-related health issues. Think lions and tigers. The natural habitats of these animals are on separate continents, yet some "experts" have hybridized them. A male tiger w/ a female lion or liger suffers from giantism and it's associated health issues. A female tiger and male lion or tigon suffers from the opposite, dwarfism and all of those associated health issues. A Liger website actually says: Enjoy the site and I hope you fall in love with the liger, even if you don’t agree with the science… remember it’s not the liger’s fault.

Well, duh, it's the doofus human's fault.

FRemember, nature knows best.

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
No, mini-macaws can breed with conures because they are closely related. So much so that some people (me included) think that they should be reclassified. But you can't breed, say, a CAG with an ekkie.

So, that means geography plays an important role too? I mean, conures and macaws are from South America.
I saw that it was done with a cockatiel and a galah to make a galatiel. What about a cockatiel and parakeet? They're both from Australia and are closely related.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Cockatiels and Parakeets are not a good idea since well Parakeets will attack Cockatiels and it would not happen in the wild well maybe it would but it's unlikely. Personally I'd like to see a Coral billed Pionus and a Dusty Pionus cross bred. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe a Greenwing Macaw is the cross between a Scarlet Macaw and a Military Macaw.

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
A greenwing is not a hybrid macaw. It's a pure-bred. I'm not sure what the scarlet/military hybrid is though.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Oh ok. Well there is some hybrid of a Scarlet and Military Macaw since a lady who owns an bird store in the next county over was telling me about it and how she had a few of them and such. But I confused it so now I know.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I believe a Scarlet and a Military Hybrid would be a Shamrock, I could be wrong though........

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
You are correct, it is a shamrock. One thing to remember is that it depends on how the matchup is made. An example would be a male scarlet and female military. It would be larger, look more like the scarlet and have more characteristcs of the red wing, personality included. Switch it around with the male a military and female a scalet and you have a little smaller bird, some different coloring and a military personality. Here is a great link where you can click on each hybrid. It tells you what two birds are bred and what they look like as well as personality.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/macaws/HybridMacaws.phphttp://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/macaws/shamrock2.php
Of course if we got into color mutations that's a whole nother headache!!

Last edited:

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)

So, that means geography plays an important role too? I mean, conures and macaws are from South America.
I saw that it was done with a cockatiel and a galah to make a galatiel. What about a cockatiel and parakeet? They're both from Australia and are closely related.

Nah, cockatiels are members of the cockatoo family thats why they were able to hybridise. Budgies aren't closely related at all!! You wouldn't be able to breed them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts