Spiders in our aviary!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Weco, Long Beach is south shore Nassau County, and I believe that Kings Park is North Shore Suffolk County. I would say it's about 45 minutes away. We often drive out to the North Fork (Claudios in Greenport is one of our favorite restaurants- and of course the wineries!) so I've seen the Kings Park exit on the Expressway (?). Is that where you're from?

No, my dad was career Navy, but spent my teen years in Newport, RI, so claim that as home.

I've got a friend on LI whose dad was a doctor at a sanatorium at Kings Park & when I was reading your original post & saw your location, it just popped into my head.....the hospital had been closed sometime in the 90s, but he & his dad gave me a tour of the place about 15-20 years ago...it was abandoned, but interesting to browse through.....

Sorry BM, not trying to cast any aspersions, it's just that I tend to create captions for the mental images generated by what I'm reading.....now, if your original post and this one were posted together, I might have to rethink my caption commentary & probably would never have posted either of my replies, but this thread does add a bit of worthwhile levity to the day.....hope you don't take offense!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I bet grilled tarantulas are delicious. Absolutely delicious.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I don't think I could eat one. My cousin keeps them as pets and, much as they creep me out, I couldn't imagine eating one because I'd be thinking of eating my cousin's pets. Same way I couldn't eat a dog, cat, parrot, rabbit, etc. Now I just have to hope none of my friends/family start keeping pet cows and pigs ^____^

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I bet grilled tarantulas are delicious. Absolutely delicious.

Chris, why don't you be the taste tester, and then follow up and let us know just how delicious it was? You could always use the fangs as a toothpick afterwards. :21:

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Oh. Well, roaches and water bugs elevate things to an entirely new level of apoplectic freak out. Living in manhattan, and working in bars for over 20 years.....I just have TOO many stories......all of them horrifying.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Actually, tarantulas are considered delicacies in many parts of the world:)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZkhpRfqsI0"]Eating Tarantulas in Cambodia - YouTube[/ame]

I like observing them, but EATING ONE, no thanks! (Things like this makes me pretty happy I'm a vegetarian *shudders*)

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love that show Bizarre Foods! Andrew will eat just about anything and say "mm, it's delicious" :32: lol :eek:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Lol actually when I wrote that I was super- hungry waiting on a Thai food delivery...so everything sounded good! I was actually picturing crab legs, and figured tarantula was about the same thing. Plus Andrew zimmern makes it always look so good--even if it's gross. I would try it though :) I've had grasshopper and ants (chocolate covered) and they were both crunchy and delicious.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Lol actually when I wrote that I was super- hungry waiting on a Thai food delivery...so everything sounded good! I was actually picturing crab legs, and figured tarantula was about the same thing. Plus Andrew zimmern makes it always look so good--even if it's gross. I would try it though :) I've had grasshopper and ants (chocolate covered) and they were both crunchy and delicious.

When he said about half of the spiders had eggs, ew... Makes it even worse IMO:eek:
Would you have gone on Fear Factor Chris? ...and eaten all the "UNedibles" too? Lol

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots

When he said about half of the spiders had eggs, ew... Makes it even worse IMO:eek:
Would you have gone on Fear Factor Chris? ...and eaten all the "UNedibles" too? Lol

Haha no I don't think I could do fear factor because they eat putrid stuff, and live stuff, and blood. Fear factor makes people eat live cockroaches and spiders, I'm not eating anything alive! But grilled...well, that's a different story... :)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Haaaa!!!! I was supposed to go on Fear Factor. I hate that show, and it's a long story. A woman I used to work for got involved and all the bartenders who worked for her were supposed to go on, wearing the bars shirts, and 'represent'. I loathe reality TV, am afraid of heights, and can't do bugs, but I told her I would do anything for her. They interview you repeatedly, and ask you a thousand questions, over and over. I just kept giving the most outlandish and offensive replys, figuring that it would keep me from getting chosen. WRONG. It turned out that I was the ONLY one they wanted. They gave me the final call on a Thursday (I was in World Of Golf, getting my clubs cut down) and they wanted to fly me out the NEXT day...... I finally had to say sorry. No way.
Theres more to the story, but I have NEVER regretted not going on.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Years ago a friend and I were driving in Imperial Valley, California, in the middle of the summer 118 degrees, on Hwy.S2. It's a long, lonely drive in the middle of the desert. Up ahead we see a dark looking 'cloud' on the road. As we approach and drive into the dark looking cloud, we see that it is thousands of tarantulas crossing the road. I don't know what kind they were and I didn't care. I lifted my feet off the floorboard in the car as we drove through. Not liking that.

RavensGryf: Not to give you a nightmare but...When I was a kid I saw a trash can full of fish heads and skins at a fish cleaning station at a lake. The can was FULL of maggots. You could hear them moving there were so many. I've never forgotten it. YUCK :(

kalidasa: Grasshoppers and Ants? I guess nearly everything tastes good with chocolate :)

Timothy: Thank you for the Mango Control reference :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
RavensGryf: Not to give you a nightmare but...When I was a kid I saw a trash can full of fish heads and skins at a fish cleaning station at a lake. The can was FULL of maggots. You could hear them moving there were so many. I've never forgotten it. YUCK :(

Ughh!! That image would be burned into my mind forever! I could never forget something like that either :eek: Nice that they provided the trash cans for that, but I can see that it would definitely happen unless they dumped the cans daily! Not that I want to linger on the thought too long, but I know the eggs develop super quickly (I'm grossing myself out :eek:) but if they dump the trash cans each day, I'd guess that it would be soon enough to stop people from having to see the development of larva? I'm sure many unfortunate people were traumatized by the sight of that :eek: Okay Mrs. Kay, you have me thinking about this WAY too long!! Lol

When I was a kid, we had an old ram's horn in the garage. I guess someone gave it to is for some reason:confused:. It sat in the garage for a while, then one day I picked it up (the horn was hollow) and as I turned it upright in the position it would normally go, to my horror tons of maggots came pouring out!! I dropped the horn and ran as fast as I could run! ...leaving my mom to do the cleanup... I think she was mad at me, but she didn't get grossed out by things like that.

Oh wait, I'm sorry... Is this the thread on MAGGOTS??! :11:

Last edited:

thebenjie

Sep 9, 2014
Southern California
Parrots
Benjie & Cherub
Hi I am a newbie to Parrot Forum
Spiders!!! Brown Widows!!
In my Aviary!!!!!
Found a few in late July, groomed and power washed entire Aviary.
This morning I found two huge nest sacs in Aviary opposite corners, 10 plus in one corner and 8 spiky egg sacs in another.... I know they are brown or black widows because I squished a few live ones after I rolled them around (I water boarded them 1st)

I have an outdoor Aviary for my Cockatoos, Benjie a 21 yr old Umbrella... And his "girlfriend" Cherub, a rescue Monacan... Molls an, darn spell check sorry it's late... Big peachy highlighted cockatoo.
Cherub's owner died... And Benjie has bonded with her.... When I am not there he is happy to preen her and do his mating call behavior...

I am taking them to Bird Farm Tuesday am till I get their Aviary tented or treated by professionals pest control company

Any suggestions for pesticide and company for monthly maintenance is much appreciated.

I use power washer vinegar for cleaning
Chinese chrysanthemum chalk around outside for ants ....

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Oh boy Benjie, that sounds like a serious arachnid situation you've got going on over there! I hope you can get some good help!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Flame-thrower. You just hafta be sure. ;)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Some people don't think about spiders the same way...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 70

Most Reactions