Splurged on some toys.....

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
This morning my GF and I took a ride to nearby bird store, and were OH so pleasantly surprised that they were (still) having a tent sale.

I knew I had a $100 to spare, and hoped to at least get a couple of toys out of it. Big Mac toys can be VERY expensive, and even though I make the vast majority of them myself, THOSE deals were too good to pass up.

JUMBO toy for Ripley

Another HUGE toy for Niko

Indestructible metal toy for both Macaws

...of course I HAD to pick something up for my Amazons, too. :D

Then I got a pound of pine nuts and a pound of pistachios, and stayed UNDER my budget. :eek: :11:

SWEET deals!!! And VERY happy birdies. :D

BACON

May 18, 2013
Ripely looks VERY happy lol. Nice toys. Do your amazons play much, with toys in their cages??

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Ripley looks like he's having fun! Nice spend Wendy! :)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ripely looks VERY happy lol. Nice toys. Do your amazons play much, with toys in their cages??

Thank you. :) Oh yes, both my Amazons play...but my Sam has recently discovered his inner beaver and there is NO stopping him. :54: He even takes on the Macaw toys when I let him.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Thanks Cat! I'll take a picture of Ripley's toy tomorrow morning...or what's left of it..... IF there is anything left then. :cool: HAHAHHAA!!!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)

Thanks Cat! I'll take a picture of Ripley's toy tomorrow morning...or what's left of it..... IF there is anything left then. :cool: HAHAHHAA!!!

Haha, I love macaws and although they're an expensive 'setup' they're also incredibly expensive to maintain!

My guys toys are relatively cheap, so glad I'm not buying for big birds with beaks like saws. :p

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Wow Wendy [I love the metel one] . Its funny how excited I get with bird toys!! All my extra money goes for that . I love watching birds play with their toys :)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I love that first toy for Ripley! Its huge. He must be loving it! :D

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
Looks like some fun toys!

I recently rescued a scarlet that loves to chew through her perch, but leaves her chew toys alone... To paint a better picture, she doesn't do much of anything in her cage. The perch that she has fun chewing on is when I take her out of the cage. Any suggestions on getting her to start having play time in her cage? She was kept in a way too small cage for years and has atrophy in one wing from not being able to spread her wings. She has a bigger cage now, and seems content in it, but spends most of her time just sitting there. I would love to get some ideas to get her to play in her cage.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
What fun for all of you...and everyone is happy.
Wendy, you know by now how much I like making things myself ( :) ), but the toys sold in stores are so much nicer. Toys your got are wonderful, great deal too!
You can use whatever left of it (if anything) for making new toys yourself..:54:......:eek:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Those toys are amazing so eye catching
They look sturdy and strong BUT I guess they will not last long
Your fid's sure are going to have fun
You sure made $100 go a long way, well done

Thanks for sharing

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Ooooh nice!!!! Lucky birds!! :D :D :D

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
The second toy down is called "The Big Hairy Monster". We got one for Lucy, and one for Phoenix. They loved them though all the hollow pieces Phoenix broke off in like 2 minutes. It has held up pretty well for one of his cage toys. It actually has made it past one week of survival, and still intact lol.

haleybird

Mar 1, 2013
california
Parrots
someday very soon a hyacinth! :)
Those look like some very fun toys! AND on top of that you got some nuts! AND came in under budget.

Well done! ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Very nice toys!!!! Word of caution Wendy, those string toys, I end up not getting anymore of those cause I had several birds getting strings wrapped tight around their legs cutting off circulation or get themselves caught in it so I decided to remove all stringing toys out period.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Looks like some fun toys!

I recently rescued a scarlet that loves to chew through her perch, but leaves her chew toys alone... To paint a better picture, she doesn't do much of anything in her cage. The perch that she has fun chewing on is when I take her out of the cage. Any suggestions on getting her to start having play time in her cage? She was kept in a way too small cage for years and has atrophy in one wing from not being able to spread her wings. She has a bigger cage now, and seems content in it, but spends most of her time just sitting there. I would love to get some ideas to get her to play in her cage.

You may have to actually SHOW your Scarlet how to play with her toys. Believe it or not, when I first brought Ripley home, the Green Wing, he only chewed his perch - much to my dismay. I started him off on all natural toys, to which he took quite readily, such as this one:
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/27060-natural-toy-macaw-amazon.html

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What fun for all of you...and everyone is happy.
Wendy, you know by now how much I like making things myself ( :) ), but the toys sold in stores are so much nicer. Toys your got are wonderful, great deal too!
You can use whatever left of it (if anything) for making new toys yourself..:54:......:eek:

You know, this is the first time in I don't even know HOW long that I spent money on toys because I've been making them all by myself since I've brought Ripley home 6 months ago. And you bet I'll be salvaging anything I can to make whatever parts they don't destroy even longer. :D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Very nice toys!!!! Word of caution Wendy, those string toys, I end up not getting anymore of those cause I had several birds getting strings wrapped tight around their legs cutting off circulation or get themselves caught in it so I decided to remove all stringing toys out period.

Thanks Mikey. :) I know what you mean about getting long stringy things wrapped around heads. I've seen it done by a GW where I got Niko, and the owner ended up with over 20 stitches because the bird was so panicked that he ripped her hand wide open as she helped him free himself.

I actually remove the toy each time I'm not there to supervise. :)

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
Wow...Ripley is Looking Good, In the first pic, I just got the same toy, I think its called hippie beads, it's 11"x42" ....huge! Spencer just started to mess with it after a couple of weeks of making it his mission of destroying a few cardboard boxes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts