starting a business want to hear from other bird owners

awalter123

Jan 5, 2013
Hi I am in the process of getting information and trying to start a buisness . I want to open up a bird boarding facilty there is none in my area I live in florida the only ones are two hosiptals and they are right next to me. I want to know exactly what others would look for in boarding there precious bird... i know what i would but its also for others and i also know how scary it is leaving a bird behind due to desieases and what not please give me your opinons i would really appreciate it :green1:

newtobirds

Jun 4, 2011
Probably the most important consideration for me is faith in the staff. I want to know that my animal will not be mistreated and that the staff will honor my requests and wishes and not try to be smarter than me about my animal's care. For example, I once left a lab at a facility. They decided she was too thin and free fed her instead of giving the ammount I told them too. She ended up very, very sick because she ate everything. When I asked them why they did that to her, they explained that they didn't think I fed her enough. What they didn't know is that she has hip dysplasia and that her weight was exactly what my vet suggested it be.

Since then, it's been very, very hard for me to leave my animals. With parrots, I would want to know that they would get the care they need without a staff person stressing them by trying to interact more than the bird wanted. I would also want to know that the staff wasn't going to be intimidated by cage aggression if that became an issue.

I would love to be able to board my birds, but as it is, I usaully leave them with friends that I trust.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
First, find out what licenses you will need. Look up any links on your government pages or local city ordinances.

You will also need 24 hr medical coverage for any animals you intend to board so do that search as well. And just because there is an animal hospital open all day that doesnt guarantee they can handle birds or other exotics.

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Other possible questions, will it be a for-profit business or a non-profit that takes donations and can get you more tax breaks.

Also, ask your personal vet for suggestions seeing as he may be the referring doc for any of your medical problems.

And most important of all, what is this going to look like when this is up and running? Can you see yourself cleaning cages, disinfecting, prepping food, giving meds, doing taxes, buying food, maintaining licenses, surviving license inspections, dealing with bratty customers and their bratty animals...for a living? Then add in any family inconveniences.

Just because I CAN do something, SHOULD I do something? I would pray, then proceed cautiously allowing doors to open and doors to close as they will.

I want to discourage you, not to ruin your dream, but rather if fantasy has overtaken reality you can do some real time planning. And if it still calls out to you AFTER you know the truth, then you have my blessings.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I know of a situation where the owner had done the right thing, had a 3-car garage turned into a nice, air conditioned avian boarding facility where she could handle up to a dozen birds at a time. She had a contract that her vet had helped her with; she interviewed clients & even did a home inspection of potential customer's homes before accepting a new bird to board. The customer had to provide medical information, feeding info & a list of any quirkiness in the bird. And an important thing she required was a clean health certification from an avian vet, within the thirty days prior to the board. The only thing she neglected to do was verify that the health certification was actually from a real avian vet. This particular client had been invited on an expenses paid vacation, but had a sick bird, so she'd faked the health certification.....the bird died & the client was on a trip where she could not be communicated with for some 12 days. The boarding contract provided for veterinary services up to a cost level established by the customer, so the person who ran the facility had the bird necropsied as the cost was under the medical cost limit & it turned out that the bird had PBFD & several other associated problems. At the time this bird was the only boarder, so there was no danger to other birds.....other than the owners two Hahn's macaws. Before other birds could be again boarded, the owner had to have the facility sanitized, sheetrock removed & walls installed that could be sprayed & sanitized installed; the boarding area reduced to 4 separate areas, each with its own air handling system. The owner also had a shower area installed so that all staff could shower & change clothes before leaving & returning home to their birds. I use a birdsitter who comes to my house when I need to be out of town. Finding someone you can trust can always be a challenge, but maybe that would be better for you. My sitter visits twice a day & she's helped me over the past twelve years. Which ever way you decide to go, insurance and bonding is a must...and don't scrimp on the coverage, because when you need it you don't want to have your home, personal property & bank account(s) jeopardized ! ! !

OP
A

awalter123

Jan 5, 2013
thank you ! a lot to think about.. i know i can handle cleaning careing giving meds and dealing with cranky customers and tier animals. I have never done the whole book keeping thing.. But other then that careing for animals and their owners has always been a passion of mine .. I have worked at 3 animals hospitals , an all dog boarding facility, an in home grooming shop, and an in home boarding of all animals plus she went to others homes. I also have worked at the humane society in the adoption part ( caring for the animals and taking to potential owners) and in the mediacal department with all the sick animals their as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts