Starting new business making natural toy parts and need imput.

Chinnychews

Mar 7, 2013
Hi, I am afraid I don't have any parrots but I am birdysitting a canary. I need the groups input and suggestions
I already have a business where I make and sell organic and safe chewsticks, coins and twirlies for chinchillas. At present I am building a website and thought that I may as well provide natural woods for the parrot community as well.
I have already found an extensive list of what woods are safe and what are not safe for parrots, so I don't need that. I do not have access to manzanita wood, but I have access to a lot of other woods.
At present I have apple, aspen, cottonwood, crabapple, pear, poplar. willow, *****willow, some butterfly bush, some vine maple, and some madrona, though in the future I will have lots of madrona.
All my woods are scrubbed, boiled and dehydrated.
What kinds of woods would be preferred, what sizes and shapes?
My prices are $10. a pound but I have not set a price for perches yet.
My company name will be Chinnychews and I am already on Facebok and will soon have a website.
Thank you for your input

OP
C

Chinnychews

Mar 7, 2013
Ok, great suggestion. I do have friend with 25 years experience with parrots of all sorts and she has been giving me advice. She buys some of her wood from me that she uses to create the boredom buster toys that she creates for chinchillas and parrots.
What I am really interested in is what the market is looking for. What kinds of items whould the toymakers be looking for to create parrot toys out of?

OP
C

Chinnychews

Mar 7, 2013
Here is a comment I got from another site and am hoping to get more like this.

"Thin coins are always appreciated! I know I'd personally like some that were about 2" in diameter, but only 1/4" (or less, even!) thick. Predilled is appreciated, but if that takes too much time, offer an option to have them drilled at a higher cost to make it worth your time.

My birds prefer soft woods like willow and cottonwood.

On your website, I would try to give estimates on how many pieces of each kind/size is included in a pound to help people make informed decisions; ex: " approx 30-40 pieces per lb." Also, a ranking of wood you carry from based on softest to hardest would help people know what to buy for their birds (they tend to be picky!)

Hope that helps!"

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
They have you a very useful comment. I like the idea of having a ranking system for wood harness.

My galah isn't a big wood chewer at all, she only likes wood that is super soft but not squishy and even then it's hit or miss lol. Hopefully someone with a big wood chewer will have some good advice.

OP
C

Chinnychews

Mar 7, 2013
As far as perches go, besides Manzanita, what are the woods of preference? What thickness and what lengths for different sizes of birds?

OP
C

Chinnychews

Mar 7, 2013
They have you a very useful comment. I like the idea of having a ranking system for wood harness.

My galah isn't a big wood chewer at all, she only likes wood that is super soft but not squishy and even then it's hit or miss lol. Hopefully someone with a big wood chewer will have some good advice.

Has she tried Aspen? It is a nice soft wood but not squishy.

OP
C

Chinnychews

Mar 7, 2013
A big thank you to my first parrot customers since expanding my business, Dawn and Leslie, from I Got A Woody Parrot Toys, for placing their SECOND order with Chinnychews and Parrots Too. First order was for coins and twirlies, second order for hazelnut perches and lots of other natural, safe and organic wood chews.

Most Reactions