Starting to grieve...

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I'm so sorry to hear that, I've enjoyed reading your Melvin stories :(
I loved the description of Melvin's eyes - the ringneck's eye is something special, huh.
Take really good care of yourself over the next wee while <3

OP
Z

zakdat

Jun 23, 2015
Thank you. We had a little funeral for him and he's now buried under the plum tree he seemed to like best in the last couple of weeks. It was a rough day - we went camping for the weekend, and when we got back, there was no questioning whistle coming from the livingroom. I'm finding it hardest to adapt to not doing my usual routine. Wake up, uncover him, scritches through the cage, make breakfast for kids, make breakfast for Melvin, feed myself. I almost broke down when I had extra apple slices left over because I started to set them aside for him. It seemed to happen so fast. I know we did the right thing, but it's hard to emotionally catch up with events.

This is the first time in 17 years that I haven't had a bird. I can't even imagine getting another one at this point because I simply don't have the room in my life to try to train and adapt a new bird to our crazy family. Melvin was so great for us because he was so independent and wanted to just be around us without demanding undivided attention. He never got nippy or screechy when I got busy, instead just played with his toys, climbed the curtains or just hung out watching the craziness unfold around him. It would be a lot to ask of a new feathered companion. And not really fair. And yet I miss having a bird. Their beauty. Their antics. Their personality.

denine

Aug 10, 2014
south
Parrots
I have a quacker parrot, & umbrella cockatoo
When i had a pet i had to put to sleep i thank God that i had another pet at home or i would have lost it more that i did. Keep your chin up the universe will work it out. Im sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions

Latest posts