Starting to lose my patience XF

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
4 Budgerigars, 1 Kakariki
So I got four budgies right now. Two I brought back from my mom's workplace (I already posted that looong story), and two I have since a long time. Things started out pretty well at first, but now it's back to being reallllyyy nasty. And I'm at a loss of what to do.

Right now the budgies are in two separate cages. But I can't let them all loose because if I do, Pat and Godzilla (the two I already had) start fighting each other over the attention of Gus in a really nasty way. I found dried blood on one of Godzilla's feet today.

It's insane. During the day Pat will desperately try to get out of his cage to see the others. If I do that, I have to make sure Godzilla doesn't follow, and I have to remove Blue and put him in the other cage because Gus will attack him for Pat or Godzilla's attention! And you have no idea how hard it is to stop/grab those slippery guys.

I have a live TV Soap in my living room, and I hate soaps! These guys are driving me NUTS. >_<

Pionus

Feb 3, 2011
Media
snow covered Canada
Parrots
White-capped Pionus-9yrs & a Peachfaced Lovebird-2yrs (for now...)
Aw that sucks when there is not harmony in our birdy kingdoms...

Do you have three males and a female? or whats the gendar ratio? (I can't remember from your last post). Are they all flighted or clipped?

I've never owned (myself) more than one budgie at a time but I've taken care of LOTS and they got along beautifully. It all depends on the dynamics ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I have mine in a aviary so I don't have that type of issue. Smaller enclosure will cause them to fight and can't get away if they wanted to.

OP
Irissama

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
@Pionus: All four are males. But you'd think Gus is a female from all the attention he gets. He flirts with all three, and even started trying to flirt with Pixel, my female kakariki. She gives him rather snappy replies along the lines of "Fat chance." I also keep them clipped for security reasons.

@Mikey: The fights break anytime really... I'm used to letting the birds loose so they can run about the living room as they wish. Broke them off in the playgym, in the bottom of a cage they had entered, on the floor... Nasty fights. When I try to break it off they think I'm part of it too, so owwwchhh I get mauled too.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Your only option is probably take them out separately. If they can't play nice together, so be it....I never really had that problem except with a female English Budgie once, she will kill males! She's a black widow....She's killed two of her husbands....

OP
Irissama

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
Well I just solved the problem. My sister will take them in the basement in her computer room. She's been asking for the permission to keep something in there.

Just gotta make her buy a bigger cage now. That's one thing off my wallet!

lorri

Mar 1, 2011
lowestoft, suffolk
Parrots
none at present
Well as the problem been solved well done anyway!!!:D I was gonna suggest to the two in one room and the other two in another. It may because they are in breeding season and all males fight well that's what I've just been told by my hubby as he breeds canaries, if you put all the males together they (his canaries) will fight :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
But they're all boys with no girls to fight for. LoL

Parakeets are silly little birds. They crack us up when we watch them. For me, who ever starts the fight in my aviary gets put out. I give them 3 chances, if they fail they must find a different home cause nobody fights in my aviary. Tranquility is a must!!! I've been lucky I've only had one that I had to do that to years ago.

OP
Irissama

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
I think they just...picked one up and decided he was the girl. :p

It's really best to not have them around the other two anymore. Pat and Godzilla would just tackle the bars of the cage all day to get out to see them. Now they're back to being their regular silly selves.

Also, Gus was starting to take a too in depth interest towards my Kakariki. As in always trying to go see her. BAAAD idea. She doesn't like them budgies.

Most Reactions