Steam?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
It is Winter in Oz at the moment.
I have been taking Skippah into the bathroom when I shower, and letting it get really steamy in there.
He doesnt seem to care either way, but could it be bad for him in any way?
I know putting human comforts on wild birds can be trouble, So is a daily steam bath good for him or bad for him?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
No, to my understanding ot's very good for them, espicially if your climate is very dry in the winter ... I am not sure about the humidity levels in Aussie.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
There seems to be a lot of indecisions on this subject, I know people who say that Parrots should NEVER have steam baths, but then there's the others who say YES its okay for them. :confused:

I take both mine upstairs when I'm having a shower and it gets a bit steamy in there, but then they have their showers after I'm done, well Kito does, Bucc would take my hand off if I was to try and get him in the shower, he gets a misting afterwards. Would Skippah let you put the shower on him.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Heck, Hamlet has been getting into the shower with either Christy or myself for the last few days ... and he seems to be enjoying it ...

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Being sprayed with water doesnt bother hiim at all.
But I dont know about actually getting into the shower yet.
He now has to be chased out of the bathroom. I dont know if its the mirrors, but he loves being in there and doesnt like to leave after shower time.

Also, I live in the driest state, on the driest continant, so Humidity is a not a problem round here. there isnt any.

I notice he falls into patterns of behaviour very very quickly.
For instance, he will now only step up from the right side of the cage and he always hops off your hand exactly 3 times before he accepts that he is going onto your arm. Its getting like clockwork.
Still no actual playfulness from him yet. Curiosity, yes, but no silly behaviour or excitement. Is this just him? Me? The breed? The species?

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I know that Toos are known for being fun, loving, etc etc but they are all different, I bet he gets all his playfullness and sillyness out of the way when you are all gone from the house. :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I have on occasion come home to find him still on his cage, but finding bird poo and bite marks in other parts of the house.
He will scream at the top of his lungs if you leave the room for too long, but will not make a sound of any kind when anyone is about, no matter how much you coax him.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds like he's just a shy guy, but happy to be with you. He certainly looks happy in his pics. You may find that as time goes on, he'll get more playful, or he's just gonna be happy when he's spending time with you.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Also, I live in the driest state, on the driest continant, so Humidity is a not a problem round here. there isnt any...

Then I would say that, yes, steam/humidity of any type, would be beneficial to skippah ... I remember that my AV told me that this was super important around here in the winter months when we get to like 10 - 15% humidity. So, if you get lower than that, then by all means get that birdie some steam.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
set up cctv..see what he's up to party party party maybe thats why so chilled.
Roxyu also love the bathroom and does more talking in there than anywhere else in the house..acoustics must be good.

Most Reactions