stepping up behavior

marinegordon

Feb 8, 2011
Mass
Parrots
GreenWing Macaw

Red factor Green cheek Conure
ive had my greenwing macaw for about 2 weeks now he was raised by one person and also handfed by that same person after 8 months i bought him. Now two weeks later he lets me rub his beak does not let me touch his feathers yet but shows clear signs he does not want to be touched. but when i ask him to step up and give him my hand now he will put one foot on my hand but raise his head feathers which means no but he does not push me away so im confused here if hes just scared or nervous still or hes trying to grab and go for a finger haha anyone had this same experience im guessing just more time and socialization but wanted some experts to cherp in here

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I would make sure to leave his cage open (obviously when you are supervising), sit by his cage and talk to him, and slowly let things evolve. I think of it this way... Would I let a random guy I just met at the store take me on a date immediately... No, I would have to get to know him.. So I think it is the same way with birds... Just take it slow :) I didn't have that problem because where I bought Bella OMAR'S Exotic Birds :: Parrots and Bird Supplies, Orange County, CA socializes their birds on perches. So the birds are very well socialized and Bella came to me immediately.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
i had the same problem with just one hand, went to a seminar on parrot behaviior and the guy said to push in and up to force them on.... not sure if thats the best thing to do especially since you have only had hima short time

OP
M

marinegordon

Feb 8, 2011
Mass
Parrots
GreenWing Macaw

Red factor Green cheek Conure
Ya I will give it a bit before I push up I think he wants to step up he just doesn't trust me enough oh and as.for the cage he won't get .in it while its shut we just leave the top and door open or he sleeps up stairs on his java tree where we got him didn't use cages they were all on perched all 19 birds

Most Reactions